Using more WiFi attennae for stronger signal?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by ridestp, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ridestp

ridestp

So I just got my new LCD top cover plastic body piece from Kevin at SourceITs. I was surprised to see that it also came with the hinge, microphone, WiFi antennae, and RF shield.

My question is if I can use the extra antennae in any way to boost my signal. It has the white wire and the black wire. Could I splice these into the current wires so that I have 2 of each?

Thanks in advance!

ridestp, Sep 27, 2008
  2. ridestp

melhiore

Those wires are called coax. There is a core and screen coating the core. You can not split them to have more because they work like that - on top of that there is special connector called U.FL which cannot be modified. Otherwise it's not going to fit to antenna connectors an-board the Wi-Fi card... If you want better signal strength you can do some mod with external antennas - similar to this: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=45646 or you can change the type of WiFi card in your device to 802.11n type and install third antenna. Sensitivity and signal strength will be better...

melhiore, Sep 28, 2008
  3. ridestp

olavxxx

I have thought about this "mod" too.
    It's very easy if you have the correct cable, which I already have.

I had a HP SFF pc which featured some small PCI WLAN card and it had an external antenna.
    This antenna has the same plug on the WIFI card as the Aspire One does.

so, I could just unplug the one labeled "external" from the Aspire One and route it like that EEE PC, but I think it will look a bit ugly.. eg stick out too far.

ANother option would be fitting a better antenna maybe inside the monitor housing(?).

olavxxx, Sep 29, 2008
  4. ridestp

melhiore

It depends only on size of antenna as space available behind LCD and beside is limited. But I'm thinking about the same - on top of that I have to place 3G antenna as well... But that's next mod...

melhiore, Sep 29, 2008
  5. ridestp

dattaway

Antennas can cancel each other out. Microwaves are fun.

dattaway, Sep 29, 2008
  6. ridestp

melhiore

True. Are you referring to WiFi only or WiFi and 3G??

melhiore, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question