Using modded version of vista or xp in aao 8GB

Discussion in 'Windows' started by marcelnyo, Aug 31, 2008.

1. marcelnyo

marcelnyo

Hi, I'm very new to the AAO 8GB and I have to install windows on it becos my girlfriend is the one who will use it.
    I've been surfing the net and found this forum, and several modded version of windows, the expee lite, expee performance edition, vis*a ultimate ultra lite, and tiny vis*a...

so far the tiny vista is something I preferred becos I'd like to install vista in the AAO 8GB because of extended battery life. can this be done? has anyone tried this before? don't mind sharing me your reviews?

can I install the full vista ultimate edition on a 8GB AAO? because in the neighbor thread someone said that he successfully installed vista ultimate, and it's running quite fast too.

Please share your thoughts

thanks ^^

marcelnyo, Aug 31, 2008
  2. marcelnyo

Tavel

it will work, but the SSD is super slow. You'll probably want to move the system cache to an SD card (I haven't done this yet)...and probably some of your more commonly used programs, which i have done.

I just installed windows XP and it would works just great...unless it needs to use the hard drive lol. Firefox took about 15 seconds to launch, but I moved it over to an SD card and it takes 3 seconds -- which is even faster than a standard hard drive! It also works much faster, no hiccups or anything as long as browser cache is set to 0mb...otherwise the slow SSD slows everything down.

Also, that was just preliminary testing on an old 512mb "33x" flash card. I immediately ordered a 4gb class 6 SDHC, I plan to move the system cache and my most commonly used programs (firefox, thunderbird, and pidgin) to the SD card.

Tavel, Aug 31, 2008
  3. marcelnyo

marcelnyo

Hi, you've tried installing XP, is it a full install or a modded version? becos we don't really know what was ripped from the full edition of XP, I was interested in trying out a tiny vista installation, or even the extreme edition of vista which includes office 07, because the same person who wrote what he could use vista and fast in his AAO wrote that he was using office too...

I need advice hehe... thanks ^^

marcelnyo, Sep 1, 2008
  4. marcelnyo

westonpf

I have installed TinyXP rev09 and it works fine with the exception of the keyboard where some keys are mapped incorecctly. My AA1 is an 08/08 manufacture date (not sure if that makes a difference) and the SSD seems quick enough to make XP useable especially given the size of the unit. I don't see any reason why a stripped down version of Vista should be any different. Drivers for the AA1 are available from Acer and work well.

westonpf, Sep 1, 2008
  5. marcelnyo

cytech

Vista runs fine on the HDD version, you may (as stated above) have speed problem because of the SSD though, vista is quite disk heavy when booting etc and the read/write speeds of the SSD are very poor.

using a decent SD card (I have a 20Mb/s)in the Left slot (I tend not to use the right one as the card sticks out.)and putting the swap file on it and also enabling ready boost will help alot.

also makesure you upgrade the ram to 1.5Gb makes a great difference under vista.

cytech, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question