Using laptop without battery

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by baasje, Aug 16, 2012.

1. baasje

baasje

I want to use my laptop without battery, but when I do there obviously is a part missing. I want to buy something to cover the gab that appears whenever I take out my battery of my laptop. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing? I searched the web but I just can not find it! I have a Acer Aspire 5750g. Thanks a lot!

baasje, Aug 16, 2012
  2. baasje

IPexpress

Can I just ask why you want to use your Acer laptop with the battery out??

IPexpress, Sep 14, 2012
  3. baasje

baasje

To preserve my battery for the moments I actually need it. I usually work on my laptop in my room, connected to the mains. So I don't need my battery in that scenario.

baasje, Sep 17, 2012
  4. baasje

acharger

use universal laptop charger

acharger, Sep 28, 2012
  5. baasje

john

In the amazon website.

john, Nov 5, 2012
  6. baasje

Millie5

I have same issue and used Universal laptop charge.. But it is not ok in working, when I use Universal laptop my laptop working get so slow.

Millie5, Feb 1, 2013
  7. baasje

Millie5

Millie5, Mar 2, 2013
  8. baasje

Adamo

Hello, I don't think you will get something to replace the hole from the battery.
    But what about all the answers you got, who are not related to your inquiry.

Adamo, Mar 21, 2013
  9. baasje

OhioTom76

Honestly, I'm surprised more laptop manufacturers don't put some sort of automatic "off" switch built into the batteries to stop accepting charges when they're not needed. This is something I've been worried about as well with my computers, because I would generally leave my laptop plugged in all day too and only use it on the go once in a while. I've always been told that if you leave rechargeable items plugged in for too long, after they are full, it will deplete your battery life.

There might also be some software solutions that can take care of this for you. My Lenovo laptop that I bought about a year and a half ago has a software option as part of it's branded apps, to maintain the health of the battery when plugged in. There may be some open source programs that can do the same without you needing to invest in a hardware solution.

OhioTom76, Feb 25, 2014
  10. baasje

Adamo

Each laptop have a circuit who charge the battery, this circuit charge to a certain level depending of the software, after it will keep the battery charge with a tickle charge (low current). This controlling circuit wont over charge the battery.
    So you don't have to worry about the battery over charging, but it's safe to take out the battery, because what is the most harmful for the battery is the heat from the laptop.

Adamo, Feb 27, 2014
  11. baasje

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Regarding - the hole left by the battery...

It IS a big deal..
    . some laptop batteries are designed as the 'back feet' of the Laptop and without a battery - the Laptop is unbalanced or could even cause the battery to lie flat on the desktop and stop cooling air passing through the Laptop

Regarding Battery Life...
    Having been using laptops (and now netbooks) since the mid 90's...
    I learned that...
    Leaving the Battery IN a Laptop DOES DRASTICALLY shorten its life

EVEN modern Li-on Batteries SHOULD be removed when NOT needed - i.e. using the charger.

Samsung (and possibly other Manufacturers)
    have a 'Battery Saver' option in BIOS, as well as an actual Software App... which is why I tend to use Samsung Laptops and Netbooks...
    This prevents the battery from charging above 80% and, having 2 almost identical netbooks (and a program called Batterybar ! ) proved that the battery saver option actually works !!!
    The one running 'normally' after 2 years has a capacity of ONLY45%
    the one using 'Battery saver' after 2 years has still got capacity of 86%

And NO ! The Samsung programme will NOT work in my ASUS Netbook

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 28, 2014
    IcyBC and Sefie like this.
  12. baasje

Sefie

Wow, Brian! I think I am having the exact same issue you described! I guess I will need a really good cooling fan, but it makes me so nervous to see how light my laptop is now. I wish I could find someone to cover that back and weight it down at least a little, so I can be sure everything is ok.

Sefie, Mar 3, 2014
  13. baasje

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I sticky taped a couple of pencil erasers to the back on my Netbook to keep it off the baseboad that I use, on my knees (or on the bed). This allows 'normal' cooling air to flow thru the netbook.

After you get a new Battery - maybe you can (go outside and) pull the guts out of the old one... remove any external connections and re-glue the old battery together then refit the 'Dummy' Battery to the laptop...

And of course carefully dispose of the dead cells as per your locality regulations. - I admit - I iz just too busy (lazy?) to do that myself...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 4, 2014
    IcyBC likes this.
  14. baasje

Sefie

Wow, thanks a lot for the tip! I can't believe they don't sell something specifically made for this purpose. But using pencil erasers sounds like a good idea, since there isn't a better option right now. And even if they were, I don't think I'd invest in something like that, when I could save some of that cash and buy an extra battery.

Sefie, Mar 4, 2014
  15. baasje

mikelouis

I have never come across such cases but I think Amazon and eBay can be a great resource to find such things. You can try it out and see if can get something.

mikelouis, Mar 6, 2014
  16. baasje

janineaa

I have a Compaq and I need to remove the battery as well. And also because it heats up really quickly and then starts to hang. I also need a cooling fan because of that. It's quite frustrating because the cooling fan is so chunky and so I can't bring my laptop everywhere.

janineaa, Mar 8, 2014
  17. baasje

KimmyMarkks

Would you consider purchasing a new battery? It seems like you are okay with not having one so maybe try a cheaper discount battery. I don’t know of anything off the top of my head that will fit in the back nicely. Or you can trying purchasing something off Ebay. I’m sure there are a few batteries online to choose from.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 17, 2015
  18. baasje

IcyBC

I usually removed the battery too when I am at home, but that hole where the battery was always made me nervous with all the dust and things that might enter that un-protective area. Hopefully someone comes up with this idea and sell the battery cover for us :)

IcyBC, Nov 17, 2015
  19. baasje

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Good News for anyone still interested in this Thread...
    THERE IS NOW a program that will Limit battery Charging to 90% obtainable from...

http://www.robotonfire.com/bl/

If /when you install it - if your battery IS GREATER THAN 90& it will FLASH (sort of) and a Robotic (sort of) 'noise' - (sort of like 'jigajigajiga' ) THAT is to advise you to turn OFF the Charger until you get BELOW 90%

P.S. Anyone who has read some of my other Threads about Laptop Batteries will already know I now leave the dead battery in my laptop - (after charging the new one) so that the new battery will last SO MUCH LONGER... Hehehe.

Unfortunately - some Laptops do not like 'dead batteries being used and may constantly alarm...

Keep safe out there...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Nov 19, 2015
Ask a Question