Using laptop whilst charging

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by akaNeon, Mar 22, 2014.

1. akaNeon

akaNeon

Hello :)
    I had this question on my mind for quite a while now and couldn't find a convincing answer.
    So if you use your laptop and charge it at the same time, do you use the battery and charge it at the same time or does it ignore the battery, as if it wouldn't be plugged in.
    I never know if I should take out the battery when charging the laptop.
    Thanks for your help :)

akaNeon, Mar 22, 2014
  2. akaNeon

mikelouis

If you use the laptop that way, you are using the direct power from the mains. For this reason when you unplug it is when the computer will switch to the battery charge.

mikelouis, Mar 23, 2014
  3. akaNeon

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Not trying to rain on your parade Mike, but if the CPU is heavily loaded, Laptop Chargers cannot cope and the Battery is used...

After even a small pull down in the Battery voltage, say to 95% and the Charger will top-up the Battery to 100% when the CPU is less loaded and HERE is the kicker just that charge from 95 to 100% - counts as a CHARGE.

If you read the specification of Laptop batteries; and they ARE hard to find! you will find that the NUMBER OF CHARGES is one of the life limiting factors in Battery life. And THAT and the lowest level the battery is allowed to fall to before a re-charge counts toward that total is recorded in hardware built INTO the battery.

Which is why 'decent' manufacturers like Samsung have an option to only charge your battery to 80% to keep the battery below the countable re-charge level - resulting in Longer Battery life.

Hope this is helpful

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Mar 23, 2014
  4. akaNeon

gadgetised

It depends on your laptop. For example, the new Mac laptops are designed for plugged in usage.

gadgetised, Mar 23, 2014
  5. akaNeon

akaNeon

So how can I find out if my Acer Aspire 7540G uses the battery or the mains when it's plugged in and being used at the same time?

akaNeon, Mar 23, 2014
  6. akaNeon

Patrick Shah

Personally if I happen to use my laptop in long periods of time, I would take out the battery to prevent it from deteriorating.
    I believe you are using the main battery and not from the supply.

Patrick Shah, Mar 30, 2014
  7. akaNeon

Jazma96

I think you are using the main battery supply. If you take it off the charger after a few hours while you we're continuing to use it and it's charged fully. That means you were using the main battery supply.

Jazma96, Apr 1, 2014
  8. akaNeon

NeroFerk

I heard it hurts your battery. The laptop will try to gain power from the battery and the charger, in which case might destroy one or the other.

NeroFerk, Apr 5, 2014
  9. akaNeon

babyleans

what concerns me is power. i think if you consistently use the laptop this way it may use up too much power. i usually use my laptop while plugged in and one its full i unplug it and use it till its almost empty the do it again.

babyleans, Apr 7, 2014
  10. akaNeon

Sefie

I had always wondered this... until I asked a friend of mine who fixes laptops and computers. He told me it was a bad idea to leave a fully charged battery inside a laptop that is connected to the power. He didn't tell me why this was bad, but I know he is right because I made that mistake with my old laptop and its battery died.

Sefie, Apr 7, 2014
Ask a Question