Using headset for sound

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sefs, Jan 11, 2009.

1. sefs

sefs

Hi all I am wondering how I can use my headset plugged into the mic and audio jack with the aspire one.

I can hear thru the headset but the speakers of the aspire one are still playing as well. I thought when i plugged in the headset it would mute the speakers until i pulled out the headset.

How can i turn off speakers when using the headset.

Thanks.

sefs, Jan 11, 2009
  2. sefs

Huw

I've done this before but can't remember how. Try just muting the unit with fn+f8, it's possible the headset will still work.

Huw, Jan 11, 2009
  3. sefs

robandjeanne

In XP, is your Realtek HD Sound Manager (red sideways spkr icon in tray) working? If not try running rthdcpl. With this Realtek sw you can see when you have a, external mic or headphones plugged in, To see this go to the Realtek HD Sound Manager audio I/O tab. When either is plugged in the external symbol lights up. It is believed Realtek switches between in and out and shows the status.

robandjeanne, Jan 11, 2009
  4. sefs

sefs

I'm on Ubuntu Linux 8.10

sefs, Jan 12, 2009
  5. sefs

sefs

Hi, I finally got my problem solved by this wiki

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One

... under the section titled "Build the latest ALSA driver and have everything"

Basically I am running on ubuntu 8.10 on kernal 2.6.27 which does not have the latest alsa drives so I downloaded them as mentioned in the wiki section compiled and installed as mentioned in the wiki section and then added...

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire

to...

Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/options

Now when I plug in headphones it automatically mutes the in-built speakers and when i unplug they come back as expected.

sefs, Jan 13, 2009
  6. sefs

Aspiration

where do I get ubuntu for free?
    Is it easy to install and does the aspire run it okay?

Aspiration, Apr 7, 2009
  7. sefs

Huw

What I did was grabbed the .img file from here and put it on a USB key to install it to the AA1. Then I followed some of the instructions on this page to get wifi working. It works like a charm now and is infinitely better than Acer's horrible implementation of Linpus IMO. :)

Huw, Apr 7, 2009
Ask a Question