Using a CD on another computer to load programs on the Aspir

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ackerberg, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ackerberg

ackerberg

My Aspire One (with WIN XP Home SP3) has no CD drive and I would like to use the drive on another laptop that has WIN XP Pro. I followed all the directions for sharing and the non-CD laptop does see the CD Drive on the other computer but access to it seems to be blocked because of permission. I have checked all the permission boxes but it still does not work. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this or how to do this so I can load programs on CD's directly to the Aspire w/o transferring them to a USB memory stick? I have a wireless network and both computers are wirelessly engaged.
    Thanks.

ackerberg, Nov 2, 2008
  2. ackerberg

brutus831

Is the other compter denying acess or is it asking for a login and password? When I did this while trying to connect to the CD drive on my Windows 2000 computer I had to login as administor to get it to work.

brutus831, Nov 4, 2008
  3. ackerberg

Angel

Funnily enough, I get the same problem: I can see but not access any file in shared folders on my home network EXCEPT the CD drive and basic basic basic txt files. I've enabled all perms and attributes, followed guides on the microsoft website and even phoned microsoft (who wanted me to pay them for help since the L1 techs could not help)

I'm really keen to get this fixed!

Angel
    xoxox

Angel, Nov 4, 2008
  4. ackerberg

goofball

are you using simple file sharing or are you doing it win2k/NT style?

goofball, Nov 4, 2008
  5. ackerberg

Angel

Hi Goofball!

I've disabled simple filesharing on the desktop, but as I'm just using XP Home on the AA0 there isn't the option to do that.

Angel
    xoxoxo

Angel, Nov 5, 2008
  6. ackerberg

beepbeep

WinXP pro computer, My Computer, right click on the CD drive, properties, Sharing, Share this Folder. OK.

beepbeep, Nov 5, 2008
  7. ackerberg

beepbeep

And if you are trying to copy a really huge file, there may be something else you need to change in the registry. Note down the exact error message and search on google for the proper fix.

beepbeep, Nov 5, 2008
  8. ackerberg

Crux

Hey I don't know if this helps your situation. I have learned how to manage without the CDRom very easily.

Go get a program called POWERISO and install on both computers. What this does is Make an ISO of the CD on the laptop and put it on the Aspire One. On the Aspire set PowerISO to have a virtual drive and mount the iso. It thinks it is a CD and works just the same.

Crux, Nov 9, 2008
  9. ackerberg

ScottZ

Once you get it working, be aware that some software will not allow you to install over a network.

ScottZ, Nov 11, 2008
Ask a Question