User-friendly desktop switching (XFCE<->Acer Desktop) UPDATE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NaNo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. NaNo

sideways

Re: User-friendly desktop switching (XFCE <-> Acer Desktop)

look at the post directly above yours, you need to add sudo to the nm-applet line in /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh, then reboot, it should then work

sideways, Aug 26, 2008
  2. NaNo

Toto

Hi everybody.

Nice tool for switching desktop, only problem is that after install, no WI-FI and the network manager seems to be broken,
    cannot enter or change any network setting, not in acer or XFCE desktop.
    Any solutions ?? by the way how do I uninstall it?

My specs: One - plain 8GB, nothing extra, only installed opera and did live update

Thanks.

Edit - uninstalled desktop switching still no network manager.

Toto, Aug 26, 2008
  3. NaNo

clairvaux

Toto, try reading the page before this one. See if that helps.

clairvaux, Aug 27, 2008
  4. NaNo

philubuntu

Thanks Sideways....can I just check that I have understood this....?

1) I should find the directory / file / folder (whatever it's called!) /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh
    2) Once I have found this I then find the nm-applet line and type sudo before it. (sudo nm-applet ?)
    3) Reboot
    4) Enter my router passkey
    5) Never enter this again!!

I'll try this when I get home.....

philubuntu, Aug 27, 2008
  5. NaNo

sideways

That's right, at least it fixed the problem for me (Nano should put this in the install script for the rpm and then leave it that way if the rpm is removed). The other problem I had was with custom wallpaper not being restored after boot, that is fixed by putting the custom wallpaper in the default directory /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops.

sideways, Aug 27, 2008
  6. NaNo

NaNo

Update
    desktop-switch-0.3 should not have problems with Wifi keys and NetworkManager.

NaNo

NaNo, Aug 27, 2008
  7. NaNo

philubuntu

So...tried it.Found the file, added "sudo" then tried to save and was told "Can't open file to write"
    What am I doing wrong?

THanks again for any help....

philubuntu, Aug 27, 2008
  8. NaNo

taxus

You need to edit the file as root. Try ALT-F2 and enter this line:

Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh
    Then make the modifications the others suggested.

taxus, Aug 27, 2008
  9. NaNo

clairvaux

What do we do with the old package? Does this overwrite it, or do we need to remove it and install the update fresh?

EDIT: Nevermind, I deleted the old one and installed the new one anyway.

Hahahah I am still getting the same problem as the last version-- WIFI won't accept an encrypted connection :p

Fix the problem in the next version please!

The nowait.sh script doesn't have sudo before the nm-applet & line

clairvaux, Aug 27, 2008
  10. NaNo

philubuntu

Well I have my Wi-Fi working now.....thanks everyone. Only problem is now my webcam doesn't work!! Don't know if this is related but did notice one other thread in this post with the same issue. I open webcam but see no picture of me (some would say that is good!!) just a grey screen.

Anybody any ideas??

UPDATE- In fact it does work but I see nothing on the screen. Pictures taken appear in My Pictures but I can't see them on the screen. Help still appreciated!! :cry:

philubuntu, Aug 28, 2008
  11. NaNo

NaNo

> Hahahah I am still getting the same problem as the last version-- WIFI won't accept an encrypted connection :p
    > Fix the problem in the next version please!
    >The nowait.sh script doesn't have sudo before the nm-applet & line

That is correct!
    1. Once you had installed desktop-switch 0.2 and nowait.sh had 'nm-applet &'.
    2. After installation of Acer's NetworkManager update you have 'sudo nm-applet &' in nowait.sh.
    3. You erased desktop-switch 0.2 and RPM recovers the old nowait.sh. So you have 'nm-applet &' in nowait.sh.
    4. Installation of desktop-switch 0.3 did not modfify nowait.sh and you still have 'nm-applet &' in nowait.sh.

RPM doesn't know anything about Acer's nowait.sh modification. Acer's online-updater installs nowait.sh with a hack.
    This is the nature of RPM and the reason why Acer can install new nowait.sh without RPM package conflict errors.

NaNo

NaNo, Aug 28, 2008
  12. NaNo

daldred

Morning, all: I'm new here having bought my AAO yesterday.

I'd read up in these very useful forums before buying, and knew I'd want to do two things early on: install this desktop switcher and set up the fan control (http://wiki.aspireone.net/index.php/How ... _noisy_fan). Both have worked nicely, but they don't seem to play ideally together - if I switch desktops (either way) the fan seems to restore itself to the default setting.

ps ax | grep acerfand confirms that the process for the fan daemon is still there; killing it and doing sudo acerfand restores fan control. acerfand is called from rc.local on startup, but presumably this isn't processed after a desktop switch (I can see likely reasons why not!).

Is there a script which is run after a desktop switch, into which I could add lines to kill and restart the daemon?

daldred, Aug 29, 2008
  13. NaNo

johien

Here i am also using acerfand and the desktop-switch, with no problems after switching the desktop. Make sure that you type in the supplied code for running 'acerfand' at boot.

johien, Aug 29, 2008
  14. NaNo

daldred

Hmm. Strange: I was sure it wasn't working last night, and now it is!

When switching to the Acer standard desktop, though, the fan comes on until the temperature is down to the trigger level for switching off (even if it was well below the on trigger before switching). Then it stops and all works normally. Still, not a problem; I'll probably not use the Acer desktop that much anyway!

daldred, Aug 29, 2008
  15. NaNo

3earnhardt3

Just updated AAO with live update, lost wifi/card reader function. Rebooted again and everything was fine, don't know if it had to do with the switch or not. Just letting you all know in case it happens to you.

3earnhardt3, Sep 3, 2008
  16. NaNo

trumpeldor

From http://blog.xfce.org/?p=184

xfce4-panel -a gives you the add item menu, where you can add for instance the xfdesktop menu. :mrgreen:

trumpeldor, Sep 4, 2008
  17. NaNo

pykfu

Can somebody post a screen shot here so that we know what this desktop looks like. Thanks. :roll:

pykfu, Sep 5, 2008
  18. NaNo

practiz

I just thought i could post this as well, if there is someone who's wondering...

How to make a Shortcut on the XFCE-Desktop:
    This time were going to make a shortcut to the "Messenger", since it's not showing...
    - Right click one of the Icon's that already is on the screen.
    - Go to "Desktop => Create Launcher (There you have Name, Comments and Commands, you can also change the icon to the program you want to use)
    - Use this preferences:

Name = Messenger
    Comments = Stay in touch via online chats
    Command = UIM

- The icon will probably change because it's a "pre-installed" program
    - Save and exit
    - The Icon will appear on the screen everytime you start your computer

practiz, Sep 9, 2008
  19. NaNo

ice_snow

:?: I have a little question about the Desktop switch. When I move my Trash icon to the bottom right (where I'm use to seeing it), upon reboot, it has moved to where it was before. Can anyone help me to fix this? :?:

:idea: Also another way to create an icon on the desktop is to find the application in /usr/share/applications/ then dragging an dropping it onto the desktop. I done this with Firefox and it worked fine for me. :idea:

ice_snow, Sep 12, 2008
  20. NaNo

Andysan

I have a couple of questions about this - aplogies if they have already been discussed, I have read through most of the thread though.

* Does executing this script risk screwing anything up, either now or after updates are applied?
    * Does anyone have any pictures please?

Thanks.

Andysan, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question