User-friendly desktop switching (XFCE<->Acer Desktop) UPDATE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by NaNo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. NaNo

lufcmattylad

Re: User-friendly desktop switching (XFCE <-> Acer Desktop)

I hope you can help, I have the same problem, I hope you can help me fix it. This is the first app Installed on my AA1, now it looks broke. fingers crossed

lufcmattylad, Aug 23, 2008
  2. NaNo

lotus49

OK, while I cannot say for sure what is causing this for other people, I am pretty sure I know in my own case.

The first time I tried this package I had already customised my One and couldn't remember exactly what I had done already. I ended up with the wireless password problem.

After a clean install plus running live update, it had the same problem.

After a clean install without running live update it worked and then stopped working after running live update.

So, it appears to be some interaction between the update (which includes an update of the network manager) and the desktop switching package.

lotus49, Aug 24, 2008
  3. NaNo

lufcmattylad

yep i also updated after installing the switcher and got this issue.. I m going to clean install, live update and then wait until desktop switcher is updated... unless we can think of a fix

lufcmattylad, Aug 24, 2008
  4. NaNo

lotus49

I did a clean install but I have decided to do without live update. I was already suspicious of using it after twiddling my machine extensively and this confirms my fears. I don't think it will continue to be safe to use live update so I shall manage the software myself. As long as the hardware is all working properly, the kernel is the only package I would feel was essential and I'm sure I can update that manually.

lotus49, Aug 24, 2008
  5. NaNo

Rofa

Thank you very much - pretty obvious really - I need to spend more time lying down in a darkened room.
    Still one small problem. i have been unable to put a shortcut for Firefox on the desktop. If I go to the Firefox exec , right click,Send to,Desktop (create link) -----nothing happens. Further help would be appreciated. :p

Rofa, Aug 24, 2008
  6. NaNo

ukwiz

I did a live update and it screwed up all my network connections. That was before even looking at desktop switching. FWIW, network manager seems to be broken on other distros.

David

ukwiz, Aug 24, 2008
  7. NaNo

lotus49

Unfortunately I now have another problem in that the wallpaper doesn't show unless I switch back to the Linpus desktop and back again if I boot straight into the normal xfce desktop. If I boot into the the Acer desktop and then switch to xfce it's OK.

I am having a slightly frustrating time with Linpus. I had initially intended to install Ubuntu without giving Linpus a real go but the lack of hardware support in Ubuntu and the very fast boot time in Linpus persuaded me to try it properly. However, Linpus is also not without its problems. The standard desktop is too Noddy for me but the alternative desktop is still hobbled. It is a long time since I used Fedora and I have never used xfce so I am finding this more difficult than I might have wished.

It's just as well I like playing with my setup or I would be getting fed up with this :) .

EDIT

I have tried a couple of the other approaches to getting a proper desktop but NaNo's desktop-switch package seems to be much the cleanest (thanks again NaNo) so I am going to persist with it and see whether I can figure out what is causing the wallpaper problem. This is the only bug I have found so far.

It would be nice to have the normal panel running as well though. Adding and removing buttons with the current panel is far from user-friendly.

lotus49, Aug 24, 2008
  8. NaNo

sideways

Right-click on one of the existing icons, select Desktop -> Create Launcher from the menu, and create a firefox launcher with these values

Name : Firefox
    Comment: Browse the Web
    Command: firefox %u

For the icon click the icon button, chose to Select icon from 'Image Files', scroll down the list to select /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png

EDIT: corrected typo above

sideways, Aug 24, 2008
  9. NaNo

Rofa

Thnk you so much. Really appreciate your help :D

Rofa, Aug 25, 2008
  10. NaNo

sideways

cool. There was a small typo (by me), the Command should be 'firefox %u' not 'Firefox %u'

sideways, Aug 25, 2008
  11. NaNo

Rofa

Yep I got that - in fact the pus predicts fairly well what one wants to do!

Rofa, Aug 25, 2008
  12. NaNo

KiNG

tried this works good, but webcam doesn't work now ?? anyone else getting this ?

KiNG, Aug 25, 2008
  13. NaNo

Jumbocactuar

Hi everyone! I have 2 question about this nice script:
    -I've got flashing icons when i click on them, why?
    -How can i change the wallpaper permanently? If i change the image from desktop proprieties i get a blank screen on the next startup...

Jumbocactuar, Aug 25, 2008
  14. NaNo

clairvaux

This program really hosed my wifi connection. It also required me to reinstall my OS.

It deleted all my wifi settings... so I went to Connection Management, and made a new profile. After filling in the settings (including the passkey), and hitting connect... it gives me a window that says

WLAN SETTINGS

Please enter your preferred access point ('Network')

Encryption Type: NONE

... so I click on NONE to change it to WEP (my encryption type), and it doesn't present me with any other option. It just sits there and it won't connect to the network.

The only solution I have, is to reinstall the OS. AGAIN. This is really annoying-- I have not seen a SINGLE modification or hack on this website that works. Default Linpus it is.

Edit: I installed your package again on a fresh new system and experience the same problems. UGH. I removed encryption/passkey from my router, and left it at MAC address authentication only. It's working now but without encryption.. What in the heck is going on? Is there any rational reason why the WIFI is having so many problems? Why won't it use encryption?

Edit 2: **********SOLVED***********

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1395

nowait.sh is the culprit! Hey listen dude who made this .rpm package that hosed our wifi's... you need to leave nowait.sh alone. Your program overwrote that script with some bad code.

clairvaux, Aug 26, 2008
  15. NaNo

NaNo

> nowait.sh is the culprit! Hey listen dude who made this .rpm package that hosed our wifi's... you need to leave nowait.sh alone.
    > Your program overwrote that script with some bad code.

That is not true!
    The script nowait.sh was also modified in the last update of the NetworkManager by Acer. I've only added a "sleep 3" to nowait.sh. No more! The new NetworkManager needs other user rights. So the start of the nm-applet also has to be changed. And WiFi passwords will be lost.

Acer (esp. Linpus Tec.) modified nowait.sh in the last update...
    Before update
    /usr/bin/nm-applet &
    After update:
    sudo /usr/bin/nm-applet &

Unfortunately this mod of nowait.sh leads to a conflict with desktop-switch-0.2. I will update the desktop-switch shortly!

And another thing - The 'speed optimized' AAO Linpus contains some race condition errors (DBUS/HAL/XFCE start). Maybe this seems to be ok for the startup of acer desktop, but not for XFCE. This is more critical in my opinion! That's why i've added "sleep 3" before NetworkManager start.

NaNo

NaNo, Aug 26, 2008
  16. NaNo

clairvaux

You sir, are awesome. Thanks :)

clairvaux, Aug 26, 2008
  17. NaNo

salvam

I agree and I would like to thank you NaNo!!.. it's a great script and you have made a good work.. take a look with the login password protected when you'll update the script.. I think there is a conflict with this login "hack" .

tnx again.

salvam, Aug 26, 2008
  18. NaNo

Rofa

Mine go dim!
    I don't really have wall paper problems - only if I use an image that is not in the desktop background (Acer) folder.
    Apart from that the only other odd thing is that the icon to switch back to the original desktop has suddenly gone - don't know if I have done something? Not a problem really because I have no wish to go back!

Rofa, Aug 26, 2008
  19. NaNo

johien

Also had problems with the WIFI, it forgot it's password. I changed in 'nowait.sh' only the line '/usr/bin/nm-applet &' by typing 'sudo' before it. Everything works fine now, thanks again NaNo.

johien, Aug 26, 2008
  20. NaNo

philubuntu

Hi Guys,
    I tried the desktop switch and liked the look of it..I then decided to uninstall it and mod the Acer Linpus. I have been left having to enter the password for my Wi-Fi every time I switch on and it is really annoying. I would be really grateful if someone could resolve this soon or I will have to use the recovery CD.

Help please!!

philubuntu, Aug 26, 2008
Ask a Question