Used vs Refurbished

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Sefie, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Before deciding to buy my new laptop I was tempted with the idea of buying a laptop that had been fixed by an ondividual who had a store and it was his job to fix those laptops. In the end I didn't buy it, because I once read that buying an used laptop was never a good idea.

Anyway, there is a term I've been seeing a lot lately, the term is ''refurbished''. I just wanted to know if refurbished was the same as ''used''? or there is a difference? Like for example, the laptop that guy wanted to sell me... could I say it was refurbished or just an used laptop? Because I heard refurbished ones were fixed by the manufacturer itself to be almost as new, but what about the ones fixed by individuals?

Sefie, Mar 17, 2014
  2. Sefie

mikelouis

It all depends on the budget that you have. There are those refurbished computers that are great especially if you are buying from the manufacturer.

mikelouis, Mar 22, 2014
  3. Sefie

autograph

If you have a choice between the two I would recommend the refurbished laptop. It is basically a faulty laptop that was returned by the previous owner. The manufacturer then fixed the issue and brand it as refurbished. They usually come with a warranty that lasts as long as the brand new ones. You should not worry in case you have a problem with the laptop in the future. As long as you are under warranty, you are good to go.

autograph, Mar 23, 2014
    Sefie likes this.
  4. Sefie

gadgetised

I have purchased a number of refurbished Apple products and have never had any problems.

gadgetised, Mar 23, 2014
  5. Sefie

Sefie

That's good to know, I have heard refurbished laptops are good, but my question was what the difference was between refurbished and used laptops. It's of my understanding that refurbished laptops are fixed by a manufacturer and used laptops are just fixed by individuals, but not sure about it. Because to me a used laptop that was fixed and is now like new is refurbished.

Sefie, Mar 31, 2014
  6. Sefie

Sefie

Thanks a lot for taking the time to actually read my post :) I can tell the other users didn't even bother to read my post. Thanks a lot for your reply! Now I understand the difference between those two, I must say I'd rather get a refurbished one instead of an used one! Thanks a lot for the useful info!

Sefie, Mar 31, 2014
  7. Sefie

Sefie

Yeah, thanks for the info! Sadly over here is more common to see used laptops for sale rather than refurbished ones. The used ones aren't that cheap either, I would safer with a refurbished one because of the manufacturer warranty.

Sefie, Mar 31, 2014
  8. Sefie

NeroFerk

If it is used then you would have to spend the time to system restore or deleting programs that you do not need, on the other had refurbished is like when you get the computer like it was brand spanking new. There is also a high chance the guy selling you a used laptop might have a virus.

NeroFerk, Apr 5, 2014
  9. Sefie

Maledictum

As long as you're saving money and getting a good deal I have no problem with buying used stuff. Just make sure to research a buyer or store's reputation before dropping the money. Its amazing how much cash you can save though just by getting a relatively new but "used" pc versus something brand new. Always worth considering.

Maledictum, Apr 6, 2014
  10. Sefie

babyleans

refurbished products are fixed and upgraded to function like a new product. i have bought a few refurbished products myself and i got a good deal on them and they all still function. there's nothing wrong with refurbished products really.

babyleans, Apr 7, 2014
  11. Sefie

Sefie

Thanks, I was just asking what the difference was between those two, because so far I have only seen laptops fixed by individuals for sale over here, but those are a completely different to the refurbished ones (now I know that). Sadly manufacturers here rarely offer this kind of deals here :(

Sefie, Apr 7, 2014
  12. Sefie

Sefie

I agree with you, sadly over here the manufacturers don't offer this kind of deals, at least not that I know of. I bought my laptop new few weeks ago, I had bought another one previously, but I had to send it back to the store because it wasn't working properly. I had always wondered what happened to those laptops that were returned to the store. I guess I know now!

Sefie, Apr 7, 2014
  13. Sefie

Sefie

Well, actually there are people over here who buy laptops, fix them and they end up being as good as new! I don't fully trust those tho, they delete all the files and info from the previous owner, so that's not an issue, but I just don't trust them because I think the manufacturer's will always do a better job.

Sefie, Apr 7, 2014
Ask a Question