use wi fi when moving?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by steven.chien, Oct 3, 2008.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

I had got my Aspier One to Acer, repair, just after I took it back, I use it on the bus, because PCCW(Hong Kong) installed wi fi all over telephone booth, 7-11 store, and shops, the whole street is covered with wifi, the signal is nearly 100%, I try to connect when the bus was moving, but I tried 20 times but fail, however, when the bus was stopped at traffic light, I was able to connect, when the bus move again, I can still use it smoothly, does it mean that it can only be connected while not moving?

steven.chien, Oct 3, 2008
  2. steven.chien

donec

I just read an article in PC Magazine about that but the sad part is I can't recall the details but I think it has has something to do with the movement and the changing of wifi range and areas. In any event this is normal.

donec, Oct 3, 2008
  3. steven.chien

steven.chien

Is too bad that you can't remember the infomations... But still thanks, I think when ever i want to use it on transports, I will first connect before i get on! :D

steven.chien, Oct 3, 2008
  4. steven.chien

donec

I'll check the magazine and see if I can't post more info but you should be able to search the PC Magazine website for the article.

donec, Oct 3, 2008
  5. steven.chien

MusicMeister

Depends on how it's all set up.

If it's a single access point once you're out of range of that point you need to connect to another within range. On a moving bus you're in and out of range so fast that it's tough to keep a signal for very long.

If someone has put up an INFRASTRUCTURE network - where they all share a common back end and it's designed properly, you should be able to move from point to point and remain connected. We had this sort of set up at the University of Alaska Fairbanks campus for the students there. We used Cisco access points to build out the infrastructure so students could actually connect, and remain connected between most buildings as they moved from class to class.

This is something done by design - not accident.... so you'd need to be aware of it and connect to the network before you started your trip and then you should be able to remain connected throughout the trip as long as you were able to maintain a connection.

I hope this all makes a little sense at least...

MusicMeister, Oct 3, 2008
  6. steven.chien

steven.chien

Thanks! your information is very useful! :D

steven.chien, Oct 4, 2008
Ask a Question