USB / Wifi / LAN not working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by redcitrus, Dec 27, 2008.

1. redcitrus

redcitrus

Hi
    Just got a new Aspire One today, and it was working fine earlier, but now it seems to have given up completely. Cannot get it to recognise any hardware - the SD expansion slot is not recognised, the WIFI card is not recognised, the LAN port is not recognised, and I can't reinstall from the boot media because it doesn't seem to want to recognise my USB Thumb drive when I try and boot from it. I'm stuck - any ideas?

redcitrus, Dec 27, 2008
  2. redcitrus

melhiore

Did you modified anything in BIOS?? Try to load default settings for BIOS if you can...

melhiore, Dec 27, 2008
  3. redcitrus

redcitrus

Well, I've just tried resetting the BIOS to the default and it's made no difference. Strange thing is, the machine boots up OK, but the battery indicator still shows it being plugged in when it's running on batteries, it doesn't seem to recognise either the WILAN or LAN cards (I've tried plugging it directly into a router, and still nothing). I've also tried creating a boot disc - twice, on different computers - with a 4Gb thumb drive, and the AAO refuses to recognise it when booting. I'm starting to think that this is a hardware issue rather than an OS issue.
    The really strange bit is that I can't even run a terminal to try and find out what the issue is - the terminal window comes up, but doesn't allow me to type anything in.

redcitrus, Dec 27, 2008
  4. redcitrus

redcitrus

Actually, my previous post was incorrect - the USB drive does show on the boot menu, but when I try to boot from it, I just get a flashing cursor and nothing else.

redcitrus, Dec 27, 2008
  5. redcitrus

melhiore

OK, in that case are you sure this USB booting in other machine??

melhiore, Dec 27, 2008
  6. redcitrus

redcitrus

I'll give it a go on another machine and let you know shortly...

redcitrus, Dec 27, 2008
  7. redcitrus

redcitrus

Tried booting from the USB stick again last night, and for some strange reason it worked first time, and I now have a fully-functional Aspire One. Thanks for your help.

redcitrus, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question