USB tv tuner?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by gussy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. gussy

gussy

Hi there!

I am new to AA1, and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with using an external TV tuner, such as Hauppauge 850 usb tuner (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr850.html) , with their AA1. Is there a way to install the software, and use the AA1 to view TV or as a PVR?

gussy, Dec 27, 2008
  2. gussy

vartz04

i have the pinnacle pctv hd stick (about $100) you can downlaod the driver/software from their site. Watching TV works fine, pausing live tv will freeze on the one, recording tv can be done if you are not using your computer for any other thing. The record quality can't be set too high either.

PVR functions just use too much resources to be run well on the acer one. It does work great for watching TV tho. It came with a remote, i hook it to my 22" monitor and enjoy.

vartz04, Dec 27, 2008
  3. gussy

vartz04

oh yeah, and you can't view TV in HD with the one either, it is too slow, you really need a fancy machine to use HDTV with a tuner.

vartz04, Dec 27, 2008
  4. gussy

hillsoft

You can watch TV in HD on the AA1. Depends on the capture device.

I use the HDHomeRun.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun

Nice thing about it is it is dual tuner, hooks into your network so you don't need anything plugged into your AA1. Just a network connection. Plus any other systems on your network can use it. It streams the digital signal as broadcast by the provider right to the PC. No re-encoding.

Supports Windows, Mac, Linux.

My 5 year old wanted to watch "Shrek the Halls" in HD when it was broadcast a week or so ago on one of the main networks. I fired up the AA1, connected wirelessly to my network and used the HDHomeRun's software and VLC to let her watch it. Worked great and looked great on the AA1's screen.

hillsoft, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question