USB to serial adapter

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jeppedal, Aug 1, 2008.

1. jeppedal

jeppedal

Hi,

Does anyone have any experiences with USB to serial adapters and the Aspire One? I need to be able to connect to serial devices such as switches and routers. I would also need a terminal emulator. It would be really nice if anyone could suggest a combination that works ...

Thanks
    Jeppedal

jeppedal, Aug 1, 2008
  2. jeppedal

wxt38

ftdichip.com they sell serial stuffs

wxt38, Aug 2, 2008
  3. jeppedal

jeppedal

Thanks!

Jeppedal

jeppedal, Aug 3, 2008
  4. jeppedal

GarethMT

I tried mine and it the linux version doesn't recognise it; it works fine on XP. As for terminal emulator software, just download PuTTY, it works fine with everything.
    I'm a comms engineer, by the way!

GarethMT, Aug 27, 2008
  5. jeppedal

perdurabo

I use a KeySpan USB->Serial Adapter (Part USA-Q-19HS iirc) with my AOA 150 under XP/2008 and it works great. I mainly use it to configure Cisco devices.

I have noticed that sometimes my AA1 BSODs if I unplug the adapter while a session is active.

FYI, I use the PuTTY software with the serial adapter. It does serial comm as well as ssh and telnet...

perdurabo, Aug 27, 2008
  6. jeppedal

mista2

I have a Tohiba tablet with OpenSuse10.2 and the unbranded usb converted I use with this works fine, correctly detected and shows up as /dev/ttyUSB, but on this aspire one I can see the raw devices being added to the /dev folder, the device is identifed with:
    > lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 022: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd 8-bit FIFO

The device appears to be supported under 2.6.23.91w but I need the ftdi_sio module.

Does anyone know how I can add this module?

mista2, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question