USB Ports Powered?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by mpf013, Nov 13, 2008.

1. mpf013

mpf013

I needed to charge my Nokia 6300 phone so bought a USB to Nokia 2.0mm pin charging lead. When plugged together, the Nokia states that 'charger not supported' and won't charge the phone. However, if i use the lead on a desktop, it works fine. Any ideas please? My AA0 operates on XP.

mpf013, Nov 13, 2008
  2. mpf013

Arctic_Eddie

Try all three ports. I've seen different behavior from the same object depending on which port was used. They should all be powered but you never know.

Arctic_Eddie, Nov 14, 2008
  3. mpf013

dirk

By definition, they are all 'powered', if not, nothing would work when connected to them. It is possible that the posts do not correctly follow the USB standard, and your device recognises this, it is also possible that your device wants more than the allowed 500ma from the port.

A correctly regulated USB port will not allow a current drain in excess of 500ma. If you have a wall charger for the device, check it's current rating. It may well be over 500ma, and if so, it's possible that the phone wont charge from 'good' USB ports.

dirk, Nov 15, 2008
  4. mpf013

naeemsta

have your charger of your netbook plugged in. and try it again.

naeemsta, Jan 16, 2009
Ask a Question