USB ports not functioning

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Arrow, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Arrow

Arrow

This is the 2nd A110 I have had with the same problem. 1st time it occured after 2 days and returned it to currys. USBs not even recognizing mouse or USB drives but putting power out. anyone had same problem? Just seemed to stop working.

Arrow, Oct 2, 2009
  2. Arrow

melhiore

All USB or some of them?? Are you talking about right hand side ports??

melhiore, Oct 2, 2009
  3. Arrow

Arrow

Hi Melhiore, Sorry about delay in reply. All the ports have stopped recognizing any hardware plugged into them. Also although it boots ok and you can use the programs on the computer it is not seeing any files on the HDD in file manager. The computer is an A110 with Linux.

Arrow, Oct 5, 2009
  4. Arrow

Arrow

PS also card reader slot isnt being accessed either. Presume there is some driver I need to reload. Reluctant to return to Currys as I would rather know what the problem is next time it happens. Also does anyone know an easy to install photo editing program to use with Linux.

Arrow, Oct 5, 2009
  5. Arrow

melhiore

Easiest option for me would be running any LiveCD version of Linux and check if you can use them USB and card reader. If you can there obviously is issue with your system if not it's hardware issue then...

melhiore, Oct 5, 2009
  6. Arrow

Arrow

Ok thanks, haven't got USB CD drive but will try getting Linux onto a USB stick but not sure if this is going to work as not seeing USB ports when booted into the Linux on the HDD. Also not finding any internet, wi-fi etc so effectively the computer is isolated from loading any software onto it.

Arrow, Oct 6, 2009
  7. Arrow

melhiore

Have you ever considered corrupted system??

melhiore, Oct 6, 2009
  8. Arrow

Arrow

Yes I think it probably is corrupt operating system, have tried booting off usb and it appears to be seeing usb from bios as it tries to boot but fails (probably because the ubuntu i downloaded is no good).

If operating system is corrupt how can I repair it with no access to usbs.

Arrow, Oct 7, 2009
  9. Arrow

Arrow

Solved the problem, Ive got it to boot off USB with Ubuntu and everything works, like the look of Ubuntu so may keep it. So original Linpus O/S has been corrupted; may try and repair by creating recovery USB drive off linpus DVD

Arrow, Oct 8, 2009
Ask a Question