USB Port Problem with my AO751h

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by homersimpson7808, Jan 24, 2010.

1. homersimpson7808

homersimpson7808

Hi everyone. I own a AO751h with the 11.6'' led. It came with windows xp and I loaded windows 7 onto it. There are three usb ports, two on the left and one on the right of the netbook. Just recently, the usb port on the right stopped working; it would not detect a flash drive or usb device. This problem is not a cause of windows 7 because when I first installed windows 7, the usb port worked fine. The usb port has power because when I plug in my usb flash drive, a light on my flash drive lights up, indicating power. The problem is, the usb port does not detect that I have inserted a usb flash drive and no "removable device" pops up.

I have tried going into the device manager, and uninstalling all of the usb root devices/drivers and rebooting my netbook so that windows 7 can reinstall the drivers, but the usb port still doesn't work. I've also set my bios to default settings.

Anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks for your help!

homersimpson7808, Jan 24, 2010
  2. homersimpson7808

homersimpson7808

any one else have this problem before?

homersimpson7808, Jan 24, 2010
  3. homersimpson7808

Pytheas

Fortunately not, but it still looks weird to me...Since it seems to give power to the USB port, I would say it is a software problem, so I would uninstall the USB ports from the device manager and let Windows reinstall it (just like you did). I really cannot explain this behavior. :eek:

Pytheas, Jan 26, 2010
  4. homersimpson7808

Eosblue

It's my understanding that USB ports are wired in series and if one fails, they all fail. I had a previous computer that had the same problem. I was able to send it in under the warrantee and they replaced something that got all the USB ports back up and running. Do the other 2 ports still work? If they do and you don't want to bother with getting the problem fixed under the warrantee, you still probably have as many ports as most laptops have.

Still, if it were me, I'd probably send it back for repair.

Eosblue, Jan 28, 2010
Ask a Question