usb pendrives don't work anymore

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by cinecho_star, Nov 10, 2008.

1. cinecho_star

cinecho_star

I added some softwares and made some changes by the terminal to Linpus, but now there's a BIG PROBLEM with usb ports: they read pendrives (mp3 player, ipod or a simple memory disks) but they don't show the content of them, they just don't read and charge them!!!!
    why?!
    help me please,

Harry

cinecho_star, Nov 10, 2008
  2. cinecho_star

markh

Umm, I feel your frustration, but I don't think anyone can diagnose your problem with that information. Could you post a list of what exactly you've installed/altered, and describe exactly what behaviour you're seeing now, because your original description contradicts itself, I'm afraid.
    Hopefully then someone may recognise a known issue and be able to help you.

Thanks, Mark

markh, Nov 10, 2008
  3. cinecho_star

RockDoctor

Harry,

What software did you add? Exactly what did you do at the terminal? And why did you do this - it just messed up your system? :? And one final question - are your various pendrives still properly readable on another computer?

RockDoctor, Nov 10, 2008
  4. cinecho_star

Rob C

Hi, I bought an AAO for my daughter and the original one would not write any file of any description to a usb stick. I returned it and got a replacement. The replacement originally worked, but now doesn't. No new software has been added to this machine. In addition the wifi connection does not work, no matter what position the switch is in. Click on "settings" and nothing happens. It does not appear to be a reliable or user friendly product. I also would appreciate any assistance that may fix this issue.

Rob C, Nov 11, 2008
  5. cinecho_star

cinecho_star

Ok, I'm sorry for the bad english, I'll try to get my issue across.
    I don't have a lot of experience with Linux but I followed some guides online to personalize Linpus, nice OS but really too basic.
    I learnt to use the terminal and I installed some applications with add/remove software and by the terminal. the apps are: VLC, Skype, Azureus, Amarok. Then I also added Compiz fusion and Compiz fusion icon, I removed the search/browse bar from the desktop and added the menu scroll list with the right-click on the destop.

Before all these changes the USB pendrives worked fine
    . They were read, the auto-run worked and you could see and manage the usb on "my documents". After all these changes, if I connect any pendrive on the USB ports the computer detects it - the pendrive starts charging - but the auto-run doesn't work and I can't see the pendrive on "my documents" section.

The mouse or the audio amplifier (both usb) works correctly.

NO USB CAN'T BE OPENED ON THE COMPUTER. MY PENDRIVE WORKS FINE ON OTHER COMPUTERS.

Thanks for the help, really don't know what to do.

cinecho_star, Nov 13, 2008
  6. cinecho_star

cinecho_star

Re: usb pendrives don't work anymore - COROLLARY

Ah, also a weird thing: even if i can't reach and manage the content of usb pendrives, if i go to mydocuments>edit>preferences>advanced>configure volume managment>multimedia and i try to change the "command" of "portable music player>play music files when connected I can see and navigate through the content of the usb connected, but i can't open or execute any of its files.

cinecho_star, Nov 13, 2008
  7. cinecho_star

cinecho_star

CAN ANYONE HELP ME, PLEASE???

cinecho_star, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question