USB Logitech headset on Aspire One

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Marathon, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Marathon

Marathon

Hi,
    Help please...

...I've spent the last couple of days trying to get my USB Logitech headset to work on the AA1 without success. I have got part way there and have added the snd-usb-audio module and can see the new card in /proc/asound/cards etc. I also see a new device /dev/dsp1 and /dev/audio1 appear. It all looks OK except that if I use the apps e.g. "aplay -l" it does not recognize the new usb sound card (only the original sound card).

I've tried "cat"ing files to /dev/dsp1 etc and this doesn't seem to work. Has anyone on the forum managed to get this to work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Marathon, Aug 31, 2008
  2. Marathon

Ace_Rimmer

What do you get when you enter

alsamixer -c1

in a terminal window?

(-c1 refers to your second sound device, the first being c0.)

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 31, 2008
  3. Marathon

Marathon

I get:

$ alsamixer -c1
    wrong -c argument '1'

However, if I look at /proc/asound/cards I can see my original sound card as 0 and the USB sound card as 1. It just seems as though it can't access it (permissions?).

Thanks for your help.

Marathon, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Marathon

Marathon

I have now managed to get sound on my Logitech USB headset (after recompiling alsa and setting the sound device ownership/permissions appropriately. However, so far I have not managed to get a capture from the USB microphone. I'm fairly certain that this isn't a problem with my mixer settings (in amixer). All the devices seem to be there as expected (both oss and alsa). I've tried lots of things but the basic:

cat /dev/dsp1 >/dev/dsp1

does not loop back the mic to 'phones but If I do a:

cat /dev/dsp >/dev/dsp1

This successfully sends sound from the internal mic to the USB 'phones.

I'd be very grateful if anyone has managed to get a USB headset mic (particularly Logitech) working on the AA1 could tell me how. So far I've had no luck from posts or searches (- surely I'm not the only person to plug one in).

Thanks
    Marathon

Marathon, Sep 14, 2008
  5. Marathon

Marathon

At last I've managed to get my Logitech USB headset working (with skype) on my AA1. It only took me 2weeks!! :D

If anyone is interested I've written some notes which might help others - no guarantees but it may save some time. Please see the attachment.

Regards
    Marathon

Marathon, Sep 17, 2008
  6. Marathon

Duncan_Rowland

That's great. Glad you got it working, thanks for posting your notes here - really helpful :)
    Best, -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 17, 2008
  7. Marathon

chazzmor

Do you think the same thing would work with a Plantronics Headset? I tried to open your attachment, but didn't know what program to open it with. Also, just from your description of some of the things you did I was totally lost. I had no Idea what you were talking about. My first experience with Linux was yesterday when I got my AA1. Itook me 2 hours to figure out how to get to the advanced mode. Then I had to search the web to find out how to install Skype on my AA1, which took several more hours. I can't even figure out how to upload photos from my digital camera. There are no instructions or guide in the master photo program. I'm really thinking of ditching the Linux OS and installing Windows XP, but I have no idea how to even do that unless it's listed in the Add/Remove software menu. It's really frustrating. Have they published a Linux Lite for Dummies yet?

chazzmor, Sep 19, 2008
  8. Marathon

Marathon

Hi Chazzmor,
    sorry it was a bit involved (it was really a set of notes to remind myself what I had to do). I think it would be worth becoming a bit more used to Linux before trying any of that stuff. Have a look on the web for some simple Linux tutorials - they'll take you through some of the commands and it will become a little bit easier to understand. If you have any specific questions about the procedure I can try to help.

The attachment is a zip file which you should be able to use the unzip command from the command line to extract the text file contained.

Maybe someone knows an easier way of doing it but AFAIK the "out of the box" build doesn't seem to handle USB audio so I had to build the necessary code to enable it. I think it should work for your Plantronics headset too but you would have to change the associated IDs in the /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist file (you can find these using the lsusb command).

If you want to install XP you'll have to buy it (on disk or some other media) - you won't be able to do it via Add/Remove software menu since that is a linux app. If there are some Windows applications you want to run you may be able to run them by installing "wine". As I understand it, It provides library support to allow Windows apps to run natively - not tried it myself though. However, if your USB headphones don't work now they also won't work afterinstalling wine since they will be relying on the Linux drivers.

Regards
    Marathon

Marathon, Sep 19, 2008
  9. Marathon

chazzmor

Thanks. I went to Wal-Mart today and bought a $30 HP headset with the 3.5mm mic/audio out plugs. It works and sounds great with Skype, etc. I'll just use my USB headset on my desktop pc. Now if I can only figure out a way to load photos from my camera I'll be happy with the Linux OS, since their's not much more I plan to do with the AA1 but the basics.

chazzmor, Sep 20, 2008
  10. Marathon

Marathon

yep, that's probably the easiest solution - I almost did the same myself rather than fiddle with the code.

I don't suppose your camera uses SD cards does it - if so just pop it in the slot and forget about using the USB link.

Marathon

Marathon, Sep 20, 2008
  11. Marathon

chazzmor

Unfortunately, it uses a Compact Flash card.

chazzmor, Sep 20, 2008
  12. Marathon

Duncan_Rowland

I didn't find a Campact Flash -> SD adapter, though they may exist,
    but if not, there are plenty that go the other way...
    My suggestion, if your having trouble with USB and don't have the time to sort it out,
    would be to use an SD -> Compact Flash adapter in your camera,
    then you could just put the SD card in the Aspire to get the photos.
    (though note, I've not actually tried this myself!)

Best, -Duncan
    p.s. should we move this to a different thread? :)
    Perhaps: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3747

Duncan_Rowland, Sep 21, 2008
  13. Marathon

chazzmor

Yeah, my bad, I got side tracked once I solved the headset problem by just buying a compatible headset. Any more camera/photo questions and comments will be at that link. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :oops:

chazzmor, Sep 22, 2008
  14. Marathon

kjohnson3253

Marathon,
    This file doesn't seem to exist for download anymore, can you repost?
    -K

kjohnson3253, Oct 12, 2008
  15. Marathon

Marathon

... OK here it is - hope it's of some use (don't know what happened to the original attachment)

Marathon

Marathon, Oct 14, 2008
  16. Marathon

sonachan1

Hi,

Does anybody know what has happened to the attachment?

When I click on it, I get a message saying the file is no longer available.

Bit of shame that, as I have a Logitech USB audiohub which is behaving exactly as described at the start of this thread.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Andy

sonachan1, Mar 9, 2009
Ask a Question