USB Hub power consumption

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by radu, Sep 9, 2008.

1. radu

radu

Tomorrow I am getting my One (I got the 1GB Ram, 8GB SDD, Linux, 6 cell battery) from NewEgg.
    I wanted the SDD because I feel it is safer and better suited for an ultra portable computer.
    I also got a 16GB SD card to use in the expeansion slot, and was thinking to get a few 16 or 32GB USB sticks to connect internally via an USB hub. BTW, do you think they would fit on the side of the monitor? There seems to be plenty of space from what I've noticed, but I didn't open it, so I don't know.

Anyway, today I got my USB hub, connected it to my other laptop, and put a BT device through it, just to test to see if it works.
    Well, it worked, but the USB hub chip got pretty hot with just 1 device connected, and while I am not worrying about the temperature, I do worry about the extra drain it will put on the battery. So for those of you who hacked your One to add an USB hub, did you notice any similar heat issues with your hub? Any idea how much energy is wasted?

radu, Sep 9, 2008
  2. radu

lotus49

I am interested in this as well as I had considered doing the same thing. I have a very small hub that would be perfect and I would like to add bluetooth and possibly extra flash memory a GPS receiver and a 3G modem.

What would be perfect would be some software based method of turning the whole hub, or even better, individual ports off. With the already poor battery life of the One, I don't want to ruin it any further.

lotus49, Sep 9, 2008
  3. radu

elBradford

In my understanding a usb hub won't consume any power unless there is a power draw on it - unless it has some onboard logic that continually processes (like a processor?). Just like your wall outlets don't consume power unless you have something plugged in.

elBradford, Sep 12, 2008
  4. radu

melhiore

melhiore, Sep 12, 2008
  5. radu

radu

Ok, but I am curious if you notice any heat coming out of it if you connect a few devices. While idle (no devices connected) mine works fine as well, no heat.

radu, Sep 12, 2008
  6. radu

melhiore

I'm planning to connect only Bluetooth dongle and TouchScreen controller to my USB HUB. Those two devices aren't taking current big enough to generate heat. HUB is worm but not hot. I also connect Pendrive (8GB ZMate). This one took another 200mA but again HUB wasn't very warm...

melhiore, Sep 12, 2008
  7. radu

elBradford

That sounds like a lot. I need to find something then w/o logic if its even available. I am very curious to find out what on the usb hub is drawing that much power. Most GPS units draw about 15mA, so it sounds like this COULD affect battery life. What have you observed melhiore?

elBradford, Sep 12, 2008
  8. radu

melhiore

No idea. I switched off LED as well. But current consumption is still about 15mA. I don't think there is another way to decrease power consumption - this unit must work and be operable all the time. I think there is something with sampling all the ports awaiting for device and it's taking some current all the time anyway...

In terms of battery life. I believe it's not critical. Battery can afford 15mA extra anyway... :)

melhiore, Sep 12, 2008
  9. radu

radu

Do you happen to know the name/model of the IC on your hub?

radu, Sep 13, 2008
  10. radu

melhiore

Sure. It's:

ALCOx - last letter unreadable, AU6254, 141-JBL-NP, H21220-2, 0734 - that's all written on chip.

Rest of the stuff it's PCB and clock quartz plus some components...

melhiore, Sep 13, 2008
  11. radu

Bossieman

My internal USB hub is powering BT, 3G and TV-tuner, I also have a 120GB HDD. This causeed a 45 min drop in batterytime. :cry:

Bossieman, Sep 13, 2008
  12. radu

melhiore

Suggest install some dip switches somewhere - I believe you don't use TV, BT and 3G all the time...

melhiore, Sep 13, 2008
  13. radu

Bossieman

Thats the idea, going to do this when I get the time.

Bossieman, Sep 13, 2008
  14. radu

radu

Ok, it seems that we have different chips, which is what I expected. Maybe some ICs are more efficient than others.

Anyway, is there a way in Linux to disable an USB port?

radu, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question