USB headset on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by renttner, Jun 14, 2010.

1. renttner

renttner

Hi all,

The mic input on my 'puter is rubbish (ie, I keep getting complaints from the people I call) and I've been trying (to no avail) to figure out how to get a USB heaset to work with Skype on Linpus. There was another thread regarding this (here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2463&hilit=usb+headset) but the link to the notes is no longer valid. Can anyone help with this?

renttner, Jun 14, 2010
  2. renttner

JimK

Which distro of Linux and which version of Skype are you using? You can get Skype either from their website or from the repository of some distros. If one doesn't work you can try the other.

I'm using PCLinuxOS (Openbox version, but that shouldn't matter) along with the version of Skype that was in the repository. I have a USB VoIP phone (which is really the same thing as a USB headset as far as the software is concerned) and it works fine (at least the handset does -- the pushbuttons and the display don't do anything but that's for another thread).

JimK, Jun 14, 2010
  3. renttner

renttner

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I'm def a Linux noob, so it's most likely I'm missing something obvious. I'm using the stock Linpus and Skype is from the repository. It's not so much a problem with Skype as with the Platronics headset I've got (that is, I only care about it working with Skype, but it actually works with nothing). If I plug the headset in, I can hear a kind of 'connection' sound in the earpiece, but all sound still comes through the computer's speakers, (and the mic doesn't seem to connect either). Any ideas?

renttner, Jun 14, 2010
  4. renttner

Japser

In the 'stock-Linpus' usb-audio is not enabled at all.
    In the directory /boot you can find the confuguration file where you can see what is compiled in the kernel (=y), what is available as a loadable module (=m) and what is not available at all (not set).

If you want to change that, : http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4800&start=10#p37023

Or change distribution, as the other poster has done.

HTH, --Japser.

Japser, Jun 15, 2010
Ask a Question