usb/cd xp install failure on a new hd

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by ftomasic1961, Oct 31, 2010.

1. ftomasic1961

ftomasic1961

my son dropped the aoa 150 one too many times, and you could hear the hd making a low growl whirring sound, so i replaced it with another hd.

tried using the usb or cd based xp install, it loads the windows files, but when it gets to the next step where it says 'windows is starting' before actually installing, it goes to the bsod, the usual, windows has encountered and error, and has shut down to protect your pc, yada, yada...

im kinda stuck here...any ideas?

ftomasic1961, Oct 31, 2010
  2. ftomasic1961

Swarvey Moderator

towards the bottom of the BSOD screen is a code that looks similar to this 0x00000000. Either google the code or post it up here. The code tells the reason for the BSOD

Swarvey, Oct 31, 2010
  3. ftomasic1961

elPaulio Moderator

As Swarvey said, get the 0x00000000000 code up and you'll no doubt get an answer really quick.

My gut instinct is that you still have Sata set to AHCI in the BIOS. Hit F2 at boot to get into the BIOS an try changing it to IDE before installing ;)

Let us know what you find

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Nov 1, 2010
Ask a Question