USB Boot does not work Acer ZG5

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by emiletelkamp, Sep 21, 2010.

1. emiletelkamp

emiletelkamp

Hello,

I have a problem, i`ve searched everywhere, without a solution so far, i have a Aces Aspire One ZG5.
    Windows gave up on me from one moment to another, so i`ve wanted to re-install the laptop, i`ve connected my external CD-rom drive, put the windows CD in it, and booted the thing, nothing! It just tried to boot from the harddisk.
    I opened the Bios, only to find that my boot sequence was alright (USB CD rom, USB HDD, then Internal HDD)

I`ve tried more than 1000 times, with different CD-Rom drives, even tried 4 USB Disks to boot, but nothing, the only thing that i`ve got was that it sometimes boots from USB Drive, but when Windows tries to copy the files, the damn thing goes down on me, copy errors and stuff. Then i reboot and then it can`t find the USB drive, take the battery out, put it back in, boot, and same story again.

I`ve tried many different ways and also tried DOS from USB, it loads, but when i try to install, the computer freezes. On all 3 USB ports it`s the same story.

Who can help me?

BTW, I`ve also updated my bios to the latest version (after 100 attempts) 3310 version.

Acer Support doesn`t give home :(

emiletelkamp, Sep 21, 2010
  2. emiletelkamp

Swarvey Moderator

Check the BIOS settings, see if you have enabled the F12 menu, then try that for selecting boot devices
    -At the POST screen (Acer Logo) as soon as you turn the machine on, tap F12 to bring up a menu where you can manually select a boot device

Is your XP CD scratched at all? could be a problem reading the disk that is causing file copy problems.

You might also have a corrupt / faulty / worn out hard drive that could be causing the problems

Swarvey, Sep 21, 2010
  3. emiletelkamp

emiletelkamp

That does not help either, f12 key has been tapped so many times. I also tried 3 different Windows cd's.

But i found out that the system freezes when i trie to boot from usb.

emiletelkamp, Sep 22, 2010
  4. emiletelkamp

ZG5Nissan

+1, sounds more like possibly bad hard drive. May be hanging up on read/write operations. If you're able to still get into the system you might be able to run checkdisk, if not them replace it with one that works or try a new one. USB boot was a pain in the ass on mine but bios update fixed that problem but you already did that anyway so try another drive and see how it works out.

ZG5Nissan, Oct 18, 2010
  5. emiletelkamp

Swarvey Moderator

+1 to that, if you can at least get an XP installation media booted, try the recovery console, you should be able to run chkdsk from there to scan your hard drive

Swarvey, Oct 18, 2010
Ask a Question