USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linker3000, Aug 4, 2008.

1. linker3000

Skittler

Got as far as this stage but then had the error below. Any ideas please?

[root@localhost user]# /usr/bin/bluetooth-applet
    libnotify-Message: Unable to get session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Skittler, Aug 12, 2009
  2. linker3000

belhaven80bob

Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue as originally posted by eflyersteve (see below). I can l2ping my phone, but can't l2ping my bluetooth dongle. I tried another dongle without success. I've trawled this thread, but haven't seen any answer. Anyone overcome this problem yet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*
    by eflyersteve » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:27 am

when attempting a gnome-ppp connect, I get the following:

GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: No route to host

I've got everything setup pretty well. Phone and AAO are paired, etc. But this is where I am stumped.

Additionally, I can't l2ping the BT dongel for some reason. I get 'can't connect: no route to host'

Any ideas?eflyersteve

belhaven80bob, Aug 15, 2009
  3. linker3000

IlonaRN

I seem to be having teething problems. I can manage to change to the Downloads directory, but cannot seem to find the drivers directory to copy the bluetooth files into.
    Sorry it's such an elementary problem, but could anyone help, please?

Update: I've now got the files into the right places, and unzipped them.. I even got the [OK] bit!

I then got the following when I try to run the bluetooth applet:

libnotify-Message: Unable to get session bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I tried running the properties thing, and the bluetooth bit now shows up, but it doesn't seem to want to see my mobile phone :(

IlonaRN, Sep 14, 2009
  4. linker3000

charliecolson

Hi everybody, I tried to download the archive in the original post and they are not there.

Could anyone uploaded them again, I am following the post to install my usb bluetooth and I am stacked in that sept.

Thanks.

charliecolson, Oct 29, 2009
  5. linker3000

Neva

I got it working with the original poster's instructions.

Since the files expired from the forums, here they are again:
    bluetooth.tgz
    bluetooth2.tgz

Usage is easy at best after the initial setup:
    Code:
    su -
    /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    sdptool search dun
    cat /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf
    gnome-ppp
    This is assuming the device uses the same bluetooth channel as the last time (the rfcomm.conf check is to verify just that)

Neva, Nov 3, 2009
  6. linker3000

shanz

I have just bought an incredibly small bluetooth dongle (http://www.gearzap.com/xs-micro-bluetoo ... ongle.html) it is based on a Cambridge Silicon Radio chip. I followed the initial post and managed to bond/pair to my LG Cookie (KP500). I don't really want to use DUN but probably just to do some file transfers. How do you do file transfers? Do I need to download something called OBEX push or something?

Looking i my Packager Manager (pirut) i have the following bluetooth related stuff installed ...

gnome-vfs2-obexftp
    openobex
    gnome-bluetooth
    bluez-libs
    bluez-gnome
    libbtctl
    bluez-utils
    bluez-hcidump
    bluez-libs-devel
    gnome-bluetooth-libs

In the System menu i can now see - Bluetooth File Sharing (which opens gnome-obex-server).

In the Network menu i can now see - gftp, gnome ppp.

Do i need to use an obex push via the command line or is there a gnome gui for transferring files via bluetooth? Can the file manager (thunar) show the bonded device?
    So many questions!

UPDATE
    I've managed to send a picture from the phone to the netbook.
    I've used [root@localhost bin]# ./gnome-obex-send /home/user/Pictures/Image_00000.jpg to send from the netbook to the phone.
    Thanks to http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/documentation/sendto_menu?s=obex i've managed to get right-click 'send to bluetooth device' functionality within Thunar (file manager) but it only works for one file at a time - rubbish!
    btw - [root@localhost sendto]# pwd
    /usr/share/Thunar/sendto
    [root@localhost sendto]# ls
    gnome-obex-send-generic.desktop thunar-sendto-email.desktop

I think my questions boils down to ...
    "1)why is 'browse device' grayed-out when I right-click the Bluetooth Manager icon?
    and 2) can thunar (the file manager) be used with obex in a better way? I've seen (on the web) people using obex:/// in Nautilus for instance.

UPDATE2
    I installed everything with obex in the name on the Package Manager.
    I've installed Nautilus and now 'Browse Device' is available. When I click on it I do see the folders on the phone but I can't seem to do any copying from it and after a few clicks the connection drops out.
    I had trouble installing Nautilus and when it runs the Acer's Default Desktop vanishes and is replaced by a more standard looking desktop. That is a shame since I then have to reboot to recover my Acer Default Desktop (with Work, Files, Fun etc).
    Has anyone else got this browsing to work reliably?

shanz, Nov 4, 2009
  7. linker3000

mapepe

Hi!
    The links to the files bluetooth.tgz and bluetooth.tgz run no more. Where could I get these files?
    Thanks

mapepe, Nov 23, 2009
  8. linker3000

kengrace

Thanks to this extraordinarily helpful post and around 6 hours with a wet towel round my head I have got a bluetooth dongle installed and dialing up through my mobile phone. I need just one last piece of the puzzle.

My intention is to get one of the new micro dongles so it can live more or less permanently in a USB slot. This implies that it will have to start up and run on boot. But the dongle I am using at present just will not.

Sometimes the bluetooth icon shows after boot-up, most times it doesn't. If it does show, it immediately switches to disconnected. If I remove and replace the dongle the bluetooth icon will normally appear, but disconnected.

I have added "sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start" at various points in /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh - despite suggestions further up the post that this is unnecessary - and found that it has no effect.

But. I picked up a lead from another post, to put the computer into sleep mode. When it comes out it will recognise the dongle and show it as connected.

I'm a novice at this Linux lark but I happened on a line at the end of nowait.sh - "/usr/bin/btscand &". This appears to be a script intended to switch bluetooth and off according to whether or not a device is needing it. This invokes another script, /usr/bin/bluetoothd, which appears to be the script that does the actual work, and calls on and off actions for events including boot and sleep. I am wondering whether this script doesn't fully cater for booting with a device installed.

I am not competent to modify it. Does anyone else have thoughts?

Part of my wet towel sojourn was trying to get Gnome-ppp to play ball with my Nokia 6300 working on an O2 contract. After a lot of reading, which suggests that using a mobile phone as a modem is contrary to O2's terms and conditions, I hit on the right combination of stuff to set up Gnome-ppp. So if anyone is interested here is what I found to work: (incidentally, I found it impossible to set up Gnome-ppp using the interface, partly because /dev/rfcomm0 was not offered as a modem option. So I ignored the warning not to and edited /root/.wvdial.conf by hand).

Username: mobileweb
    Password: password
    Phone number: *99#

Modem device: /dev/rfcomm0
    Type: Analog modem
    Speed: 115200
    Phone line: Tone
    Volume: High

Init string2: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
    Init string 3: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","mobile.o2.co.uk"

And left everything else at defaults - dynamic IP address, automatic DNS etc.

kengrace, Dec 8, 2009
  9. linker3000

Neva

Here’s also a helper script I made to check the phone dial-up-networking channel.

Save to your Aspire One, make it executable with chmod 755 bt, modify your phone’s MAC address in (with e.g. vim bt) and run (like ./bt). It can also be double-clicked from the file explorer.

This script should work, assuming you've done all the previous steps and gotten the connection to work at least once "the long way"

Neva, Dec 25, 2009
  10. linker3000

kengrace

Since my last post I bought a tiny Belkin dongle which is really unobtrusive. Attempting to get it to work I went through the whole Bluetooth set up all over again. The Belkin dongle didn't work, but the reinstall of the Bluetooth stuff made my previous dongle work perfectly.

I have been told by Belkin that its mini unit doesn't work under Linux - and after a couple of hours I tend to agree. So I bought another manufacturer's small, but not quite as neat, unit which works perfectly.

The Belkin dongle works with Bluetooth 2.1 while the ones I have that work have Bluetooth 2.0. I haven't been able to establish whether the Bluetooth set-up using Bluez supports Bluetooth 2.1. Could this be why the Belkin dongle doesn't work? Has anyone else been able to get the Belkin dongle to work on an AAO running Linpus?

kengrace, Dec 25, 2009
  11. linker3000

Aspiration

I extracted directly to the folder and kept getting errors. Eventually I figured out that it was just trying to overwrite whatever was there so I went back to terminal and tried getting super user access again. It asked for a password but would not show anything I typed in. Tried using the linpus keyboard...nada. Not sure why it was not showing anything I typed in for a password. So after about five more minutes it somehow let me see what I was typing and entered it.

Aspiration, Feb 16, 2010
  12. linker3000

Aspiration

Finally got the computer to cooperate and was able to extract the bluetooth.tgz files into the directories.
    Then ran the line to put the bluetooth icon at the bottom of the screen. It didn't work. So I ran it again... Now there are two bluetooth icons!! Why wouldn't it show the icon the first time I ran it? How do I get rid of one of those icons?

Also, Nothing came up saying anything was connectable... so are the instructions wrong? When I go onto my phone which was paired with my other computer that is using the same dongle on this computer, it says no new devices were found. Am I suppose to delete my previous pairing to my other computer?

Ok. Deleted the pairing and now it asks for the numeric passkey... whatever that is.... for localhost-0

The terminal window says: ** (bluetooth-applet:19825): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_call: assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)' failed
    Where do I get the numeric passkey? My computer is not displaying any. Oh, damned! I'll just enter 0000 because that worked with the bluetooth headset.

Nothing happening. So I close the bluetooth icon window and double clicked on the bluetooth icon at the bottom of the screen... Finally it asked me for a numeric password so I entered the same 0000 and it paired, or bonded in Linpus Terms.

So I went into my phone and tried to send a photo to my linpus lite. It said service not found. Now what??? I click on the bluetooth icon, select preferences and it says my phone is bonded. I clicked on the trust button and set my phone to auto trust the connection. So that can't be the problem.
    It lists my phone in the services section under audio but no where else. Why? Shouldn't it accept file transfers?
    Nothing is ever easy with Linpus Lite.

So I right click on the desktop and click on bluetooth file sharing and a triangle with rings is now at the bottom of my screen. HUH?

So I try sending the photo again. A prompt pops up on Linpus Lite asking if I want to trust the connection and I click the little box that says always trust and click OK.

Hey! The file is transferring! Whoopee!
    A window pops open and asks what do I want to do with this file. I click on open because there isn't another useful option like saving the file. Photo Master pops open and voila! My photo!
    As you can see below, typing 12ping isn't a recognizable command but ping is. Not sure if that's a typo in the instructions or what....

[root@localhost user]# lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c00c Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 008: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0518:0001 EzKEY Corp.
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 064e:d101 Acer Crystal Eye Webcam
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    [root@localhost user]# hciconfig -a
    hci0: Type: USB
    BD Address: 00:0F:3D:5F:44:88 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
    UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
    RX bytes:8866 acl:91 sco:0 events:198 errors:0
    TX bytes:2617 acl:91 sco:0 commands:61 errors:0
    Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
    Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
    Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
    Name: 'localhost-0'
    Class: 0x08010c
    Service Classes: Capturing
    Device Class: Computer, Laptop
    HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x20d LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x20d
    Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

[root@localhost user]# ping 00:0F:3D:5F:44:88
    ping: unknown host 00:0F:3D:5F:44:88
    [root@localhost user]#

Anyways... it is letting me send photos from my phone and now I'm sending an audiofile to my linpus lite. For some weird reason, my crapberry 9530 crashes sending long files. Max file it sent was 20.8mb and then it stalled and wouldn't finish sending the file. I'll let it run and see what happens (@27% of 36mb now).

Haven't tried the other info listed on the instructions because its doing what I need it to do... transfer files. Using my Crapberry Storm for connecting to the internet is going to put me way over my 500mb limit anyhow. I have yet to figure out if I'll be able to send audio to my Linpus Lite because the Crapberry is weird in that area... Won't let me send audio except via that $120/yr Nav program (turn by turn directions) or via bluetooth earbud thingy.

Even though there were instructions on how to connect to my Crapberry Storm (Yeah, I hate the Storm), there were also a huge amount of instructions missing and only by trial and error did I get it working. If I can send the entire file over 20mb from my Crapberry then at least it has gotten past the file size issue for sending... at least. Receiving is another issue... always craps out on long files which is why I call my Storm a Crapberry Storm. For now... just getting the file transfers working if good enough.
    Thanks.

Aspiration, Feb 16, 2010
  13. linker3000

Aspiration

Unfortunately, these instructions only let me send files from my phone to the netbook. Why doesn't it allow me to browse devices on my netbook and send files to it?

Aspiration, Feb 16, 2010
  14. linker3000

Aspiration

Bad news! Don't ever take what's his name's advice on running acer support bluetooth file. It screws up the desktop and all the squares with program icons are gone! Then reboot and they are back gut the right click advance menu-settings-bluetooth file transfer won't boot.
    now I can't even get it to recognize the bluetooth when its plugged in. What am I suppose to do now?

Aspiration, Feb 16, 2010
  15. linker3000

Aspiration

Re: USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - Not WORKING*

:twisted: How do I remove all the crap that this bluetooth escapade put on my computer? I already removed the bluez-XXX files via the installer but now I have to remove all the bluetooth.tgz files in directories that it won't let me remove. It won't let me delete the bluetooth directory or files so that I can remove all the bad bluetooth crap from my system? Someone should have told me that I still won't be able to send files from linpus to my phone even with all this bluetooth stuff added. We call it better living by stressing out yourself, haha.
    How do I remove all this crap without removing stuff that is suppose to be there? :(

OK. Figured it out. :eek: Go into terminal and type su
    then password that you setup first time on your netbook.
    then type cd /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/bluetooth
    (cd means change directory. rm means remove. cd .. means go back one directory)
    then type rm * which means delete everything and answer each prompt with y and enter. Just make sure you are in the right directory or you'll destroy parts of your OS!

then type cd .. to go back one directory
    then type cd /net/bluetooth
    type rm *
    answer each prompt with y and enter

then quit terminal. Geez... I'm actually getting better at finding my way around here using old Microsoft basic commands. Time to take my DBT-120 upstairs and plug it back into my mac where it works better except for the screaching to a halt bluetoothing over large files. :D

And just in case no one told you yet, never go to the acer support webpage at http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/f ... s.html#003 and click on BlueZ because this will ruin your desktop and you'll get this weird screen with nothing on it but a trash can and your SSD and some freaky background graphics. Obviously, the BlueZ is not meant for Linpus Lite otherwise it wouldn't destroy the desktop and advanced menu access until the computer is rebooted.

Aspiration, Feb 16, 2010
  16. linker3000

Aspiration

"5) Now download bluetooth2.tgz, extract and copy the drivers to /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/bluetooth

Note: Each tgz file expands into its own 'bluetooth' folder so the simplest way to install these files is to copy them into the .../drivers/net and .../kernel/drivers folder (one per location as per the above instructions) and then issue the command tar xvfz <filename>. If you get an error during the copy or extraction, make sure you are logged in as root."

What filename? You didn't specify it so I have no idea what files you are talking about.

Why not just extract it directly into the correct folders with the xarchiver by telling it where to extract the files to? We don't want it complicated for newbies, do we? This seemed to work fine for me and since I couldn't figure out what filenames you were talking about, I had to skip that step with the command: tar xvfz... whatever.

Aspiration, Feb 16, 2010
  17. linker3000

Aspiration

I have the same dongle and it works with my mac other than flicking the light switch on/off screws it up. Tried it on my linpus netbook and it sort of worked. It was all one way file transfers to my netbook so I removed the bluetooth stuff as you will read on page 16.

Yes, had the same issue with it not letting me browse a device. You need to be paired with it first and it must have the necessary services if I'm not mistaken. Eventually, the browse thingy worked but by that time I installed the bluez downloaded from Acer which screwed up my desktop etc so I removed all of the bluetooth stuff since it was only one-way transfer to the computer. Maybe someone else can figure out why... After installing the bluetooth stuff on Linpus I went right click on the desktop, click on system, click on bluetooth file transfer which puts a cool icon at the bottom of the screen window. Still.. only seems to work for receiving.

Obex got installed somewhere from the bluetooth packages if I'm not mistaken.

Aspiration, Feb 18, 2010
  18. linker3000

Aspiration

I have the bt-120 dongle and it worked. What's your's?

Aspiration, Feb 18, 2010
  19. linker3000

Aspiration

Any luck after reading the post below? I'll copy it here anyways. Did you try from the terminal window to initialize rfcomm?

cat /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf
    gnome-ppp

Aspiration, Feb 18, 2010
  20. linker3000

Aspiration

double click on the files and it should ask what you want to open it with, select xarchiver then select where you want to extract the files too... before you do that... make sure you are logged in as superuser by typing su in the terminal window or you won't have root access to write it to the folders listed in the instructions.

Aspiration, Feb 18, 2010
Ask a Question