USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linker3000, Aug 4, 2008.

1. linker3000

Arslan

I did it again and now its OK.

Further...

I typer rfcomm bind rfcomm0

it says "Address already in use

What to do???

Arslan, Apr 22, 2009
  2. linker3000

Arslan

I tryed to type "mount /dev/rfcomm0" then my phone ask me a pin. typed 1234 but the phone said Error of linking

Arslan, Apr 22, 2009
  3. linker3000

Spikey

sorry if this is in the wrong place.... just trying to get use to linux.

my problem is that ....having bought the mini ubs bluetooth dongle from the dealextreme site. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866.... i plugged it in but nothing happened.

I have linux on my netbook.... what did i do wrong? what do i need to do?

PLs help ...

Tia

Spikey

Spikey, May 11, 2009
  4. linker3000

ashpire

Spikey, did you do as described in the first post in this topic?

Can somebody tell me how to get bluetooth to start automatically at every boot? I've tried to edit the /etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh file and inserted "sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start" in it, but if I try to connect to the internet with gnome-ppp, it just says: GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: No such file or directory

ashpire, May 11, 2009
  5. linker3000

jong

Firstly, thanks to all those who have posted advice to help a novice like me get almost there - but not quite.

Following Linker 3000s OP I have got my AA1 paired with my palm centro with the aim of GPRS net access - I would not use it enough to make 3G worthwhile.

I get as far as trying to connect using gnome-ppp. This certainly makes a connection to the centro, as the bluetooth logo appears briefly next to the Acer's name in the trusted devices list. On the Acer, I briefly get a network icon appear in the notification area, but this disappears after a few seconds and the gnome-ppp dialogue box reappears.

Checking the log lists a pppd exit code 17, "Serial Loopback detected". Most mentions of this that I can find on the net are to do with setting up conventional analogue modems, but I can't make much sense of them. There are suggestions that part of the problem is a delay in answering by the remote server.

Someone had this problem, then answered his own question with: "I was able to solve the problem by mentioning 'nomagic' as argument to pppd. This will ignore loopback related errors." at:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 17-329863/

I confess that I have no idea what that means, whether it might work, or how I might go about it.

Occasionally, instead, I get an exit code = 16 "A modem hung up the phone" instead - usually this takes 20-30 seconds instead of 2-3 seconds.

It makes no difference whether I run gnome-ppp from within a terminal or directly, whether or not I use "stupid mode" from the gnome-ppp options, and I received pretty much the same log and exit code when I tried wvdial directly from a terminal.

After initial failures, I realised I should probably be disabling my wifi ntwork connection before trhying the bluetooth one. No help, but to add insult to injury, it is now often difficult to restart my network connection without a reboot once it has been disabled. Hovering the pointer over the network icon in the notification area gets a "networking disabled" message, and using network manager to highlight my wifi connection and clicking "connect" gets no apparent response.

It is frustrating to have got so near but got stuck at (what I hope is) the last hurdle. Anyone got any ideas, in nice simple terms for a newbie like me? I can post the full connection log if it will help.

Thanks in advance.

jong, May 14, 2009
  6. linker3000

groeswenphil

I got as far as stage three and then got:-

[user@localhost ~]$ /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    touch: cannot touch `/var/lock/subsys/hcid': Permission deniedOK ]
    Can't open RFCOMM control socket: Address family not supported by protocol
    touch: cannot touch `/var/lock/subsys/bluetooth': Permission denied

Phil

groeswenphil, May 14, 2009
  7. linker3000

maverick55

I have got to the stage of "rfcomm bind rfcomm0"
    and keep getting "can't find a config entry for rfcomm0"

any ideas would be gratefully received.

Ta

maverick55, May 15, 2009
  8. linker3000

trace

Add a softlink from /etc/rc5.d (or /etc/rc3.d?). (My AAO is at home...)

trace, May 20, 2009
  9. linker3000

vanesssa99

vanesssa99, Jun 5, 2009
  10. linker3000

truecolor

truecolor, Jun 5, 2009
  11. linker3000

linker3000

Hi Folks,

I've not stopped by here for a while but I just popped in to say my AA1 is now running Fedora 11 so I won't be much use with Linpus-related bluetooth stuff. In general, I am not experimenting much with the AA1 any more as I am involved in a big software and hardware roll-out and after a day in the office the last thing I want to do is make/break computer stuff at home - besides, it wouldn't go down to well with the wife and kid who are currently putting up with two test servers in the lounge!

I expect I'll contribute a bit elsewhere on Fedora-related stuff. Thanks for all the feedback and sharing.

L3K

linker3000, Jun 11, 2009
  12. linker3000

larkim

See 4th post here viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15199

I got a Sony K750i to connect via GPRS using gnome-ppp quite reliably.

I *think* all I did was install the bluez apps from the acer website, and then the various other bits included in the forum post.

HTH

Matt

larkim, Jun 11, 2009
  13. linker3000

sbonney

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Linux. How do you download, extract & copy the '.tgz' files? Do you do this in Terminal? What (exactly) do you need to type? How do you 'log in as root'? Thank you.

sbonney, Jun 12, 2009
  14. linker3000

sbonney

Hi,

I have just bought a Technika Bluetooth Adaptor (Model H16BL-01) from Tesco. Has anyone got this to work with an AAO running Linux and, if so, how?? Thanks!

sbonney, Jun 14, 2009
  15. linker3000

linker3000

Read the first post - it answers most (if not all) of your questions.

Cheers

L3K

linker3000, Jun 15, 2009
  16. linker3000

linker3000

Read the first post - it answers most (if not all) of your questions AND I used *that* adaptor (it's mentioned by name in the post).

Cheers

L3K

linker3000, Jun 15, 2009
  17. linker3000

sbonney

Hi L3K,
    Thanks.
    I bought my adapter after reading your post.
    I plug my adapter in after signing in as 'root' by typing 'sudo -s'<enter>. If I then type 'lsusb' I get the following message: bash: lsusb: command not found - is lsusb a command?
    I have downloaded the modules and drivers, but don't understand how to extract and copy them. Could you kindly explain what I need to do? I have previously downloaded 'BlueZ' from the Acer website. I will then try to work out the rest. Thanks again. :?

sbonney, Jun 17, 2009
  18. linker3000

acrleyton

Hi everyone,
    Well so far so good. I'm now able to connect and browse the internet using my N95 and mini bluetooth adapter. :D

However, I'm needing to do this manually using wvdial (by editing wvdial.conf) as /dev/rfcomm0 doesn't appear in the list of devices in gnome-ppp??

Any ideas/solutions would be gratefully appreciated.

Adam

acrleyton, Jul 2, 2009
  19. linker3000

jdg2304

Hi.
    Does anyone know where the bluetooth.tgz and bluetooth2.tgz files have gone? I can't find them any more!!!!

Thanks

John

jdg2304, Jul 25, 2009
  20. linker3000

linker3000

You can now find the bluetooth.tgz and bluetooth2.tgz files attached to the end of my original post.

Cheers

L3K

linker3000, Jul 31, 2009
Ask a Question