USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linker3000, Aug 4, 2008.

1. linker3000

cabanon

As you can connect to your mobile to transfer files etc. do you know a fix for why when I browse (right click bluetooth icon) and find a device and then click connect I lose the AAO standard Linpus Lite "home desktop" as it just goes and switches to and sits as a limited and basic "Gnome" desktop.

I cannot use the OBEX file transfer process and I lose all functionality including getting back to the home desktop by pressing the home key or clicking on the home symbol. I cannot access my folders/ files and the right click functionality is inoperative.

The only way I can get the funtionality and the desktop back is by rebooting the AAO which in turn loses my bluetooth connection!

cabanon, Jan 28, 2009
  2. linker3000

sanger440

cabanon,

I have played around a lot with the bluetooth setup on my Linpus Aspire One. The only time I had the problem losing my standard Linpus desktop was when I used Yum or the package manager to load bluetooth or bluez utilities. I re-imaged my AAO once I borked my desktop to a stable image I had saved prior to my experiments.

All I did was install the missing bluetooth.ko driver as per this thread and then installed only the official Aspire blue bluetooth software. The bluetooth stuff from Yum is what broke my box. Software is here: http://www.acer.com/aspireone/support/files/files.html

Then I was able to connect to my phone and configure my Kensington mouse. However, when I leave the bluetooth dongle in, sometimes it boots up and does not work correctly, but sometimes is does. But if I boot up, then blug in the BT dongle, it consistenly works pretty good.

Hope this helps.

Update: Ever since I posted my bluetooth doesn't always work when booting with the dongle in the usbport, it has booted and worked like 10-20 boots in a row. So my bluetooth mouse and dongle seems pretty stable.

Sanger

sanger440, Jan 29, 2009
  3. linker3000

cabanon

Sanger

Many thanks for advice although I may have to resort to doing a full system restore to "clear" out any unnecesary bluetooth files originally installed via the package manager - unless there is a way of individually removing them? I've tried using the right click then "add and remove programs" to access the package manager for removal of the "Yum" items but then I get no Bluetooth functinality at all, even leaving the official Acer Aspire BT software on the machine - this is very frustrating!!

Cabanon

cabanon, Feb 2, 2009
  4. linker3000

p_sapelas

Hi everybody,
    I've the following problem. After the use of the recovery disk I had to reinstall the bluetooth I own (before it worked perfectly). Now after the installation the bluetooth works only after i start it from terminal. However this is not the only problem. Now I can;t browse any devise from my pc and only sometimes I can sent files from my phone. To reconfigure bluetooth should I just remove the bluetooth files from kernel?
    I don't know what else to do...(i mentioned a problem while extracting the bluetooth.tar but I don't remember if the previous time this error had occurred ... I have download the file twice.. same error). Any help is welcomed.
    My regards..
    P.Sapelas

p_sapelas, Feb 3, 2009
  5. linker3000

sanger440

cabanon,

Linux can be very frustrating so keep a back up. Theoritcally you can uninstall all the bluetooth packages using the package manager. Reboot and check to see if any other packages show up, if so remove them. If your box is still stable, then reinstall the Acer blutooth packages and try blutooth again. I have had that work for some packages and not for others.

Good luck.

Sanger.

sanger440, Feb 3, 2009
  6. linker3000

cabanon

Sanger
    I got ruthless and uninstalled everything "bluetooth", "gnome-bluetooth" & "bluez" using the package manager. I uninstalled the Acer bluetooth patch/ update by selecting it from the live update history (retained the drivers though), rebooted and then reinstalled only the Acer patch/ update again, then rebooted once more. Hey presto bluetooth file transfers are now no problem and my AOO retains its desktop.

Next to try is a bluetooth mouse & keyboard!

Many thanks for your help in this matter and I hope this experience helps others.

cabanon.

cabanon, Feb 3, 2009
  7. linker3000

hawky

hawky, Feb 13, 2009
  8. linker3000

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Feb 14, 2009
  9. linker3000

dave66

Thanks for this information, I got a Belkin BT Dongle (V2.0+EDR) and an Advent Dongle (V2.0+EDR) working.

Now I have a question for the guru's here, I actually have two AAO, with a dongle in each one, I can send/receive files if I make the receiving AAO "visible and connectable for other devices". However I cannot workout how to get the two AAO's to bond/pair so that I don't have to keep making the receiving AAO visible.

Any ideas?

dave66, Feb 18, 2009
  10. linker3000

Katana

Hello

Well I've been working through this and have come to a problem, I am a linux newbie so this comes as very difficult thing to get my head round. The computer sees the the bluetooth adapter but when I start the bluetooth adapter with /etc/init.d/bluetooth start I get the message:

touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/hcid': No such file or directory
    touch: cannot touch 'var/lock/subsys/bluetooth': No such file or directory

Thank you

Katana, Mar 18, 2009
  11. linker3000

Katana

Sorted - Had to use the sudo command before hand

Katana, Mar 19, 2009
  12. linker3000

bidmead

A couple of days ago, Live Update offered "A patch for bluetooth (190021)" -- particularly puzzling because this AA1 doesn't have Bluetooth hardware (I understand from Acer marketing that none of the Linux versions of the machine do) and seems not to have any kind of bluetooth stack installed.

I accepted the "patch" (what was it patching??), but of course it did not enable Bluetooth, even when I plugged in a CSR-based dongle? I do intend to proceed with getting Bluetooth working with the kernel modules linker3000 is offering here (many, many thanks) -- but I'm puzzled about this "patch". Does anyone know if there's an official Acer Bluetooth implementation? Of any kind? Or should I be asking a different question?

--
    Chris

bidmead, Mar 20, 2009
  13. linker3000

gozzy

OK guys total noob here

What am I doin wrong

Have downloaded all the software and installed it, have downloaded the 2 kernals (gzip files)to my downloads folder

Now when I try to extract them after navigating to the right folder I get "permission denied"

must admit this linpus linux is a bit confusing after so many years on windows

any help appreciated as I need to use my phone as a modem (HTC touch diamond WM6.5)

gozzy, Mar 22, 2009
  14. linker3000

Katana

Right just going through this again and now getting the message again but the bluetooth dongle light is flashing.

Using the sudo command too, so what am I doing wrong now?

Katana, Mar 31, 2009
  15. linker3000

Katana

After extensive googling, I found a spanish chap that had a similar problem but fixed it as some of the files were in the wrong place or not installed. (poor translation) but all the components are there and they were added with the add/remove programs.

So I'm stumpted at what I've done wrong....please someone must know what I can do.

Katana, Apr 1, 2009
  16. linker3000

Katana

Does anyone know?

Am stumped and google is no help.

Katana, Apr 5, 2009
  17. linker3000

sanger440

I have had the same error come up now and again. It seems bluetooth will not start some times. Usually it is because the dongle is not recognized properly. Sometimes I have to reboot the machine, once booted then plug in the dongle, then manually start bluetooth from the terminal. Once I get it working, it usually will works for a number of reboots, but then it will fail again. It just seems that the dongle in not recongized properly sometimes. Sometimes a reboot with the dongle installed does the trick, but often times I need to reboot without the dongle installed, wait for the machine to fully boot, then plug in the dongle and it will work. I will do a manual restart of bluetooth from the terminal here and there if all else fails.

Sanger.

sanger440, Apr 7, 2009
  18. linker3000

bobetjo

Re - Basic Commands.

I see a couple of other posters have asked this very same question on this forum and I cannot see a reply to either.

The guide says

4) Download the kernel modules pack bluetooth.tgz (compiled using a vanilla 2.6.23.9 kernel), extract the files and copy them to the folder /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net/bluetooth

5) Now download bluetooth2.tgz, extract and copy the drivers to /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/bluetooth

I will be grateful if some one will say HOW you copy these downloaded files to the target. I have a long list of downloaded files in Xarchiver and no idea how to do anything at all with them.

bobetjo, Apr 17, 2009
  19. linker3000

Japser

The command

sudo thunar

in a terminal will start the filemanager 'with root privileges'.

That will let you move system-files.

But be carefull.....

--Japser.

Japser, Apr 17, 2009
  20. linker3000

Arslan

Sometime I did all described but I could not to dial up phone. Then I did smth (now I dont remember what!) and now my Bluetooth doesnt work at all. Again I did all described and now after I type /etc/init.d/bluetooth stasr it says "touch: cannot touch `/var/lock/subsys/hcid': No such file or directory
    touch: cannot touch `/var/lock/subsys/bluetooth': No such file or directory"

Please help me!

Arslan, Apr 22, 2009
Ask a Question