USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linker3000, Aug 4, 2008.

1. linker3000

Grim Squeaker

Very first post of this topic :)

Grim Squeaker, Nov 13, 2008
  2. linker3000

bjc

Ive inserted the link for linker30000's package - silly omission :oops:

bjc, Nov 14, 2008
  3. linker3000

atomkinder

Hi

I've used the "official" bluez module with the bluetooth.ko add in and I can see my phone (samsung i900) but each time I try to connect to it it tells me that it cannot display "OBEX://[00:...]" I have the gnome OBEX packages showing up on package manager so I'm not really sure where to go from here. I'm a linux n00b in a steep learning curve.

Also I have paired with my headphones but can't got music to actually come out of them. Any ideas?

atomkinder, Nov 15, 2008
  4. linker3000

ffortunato

Hi all!

I have the same problem with audio bluetooth service ... I have paired with my headphones (Motorola HT820) but they appear in the Bonded devices list as not connected and they do not appear in the audio devices list under the "Audio service". Can't get any music, click or noise out of them. File transfer from-to my PDA works fine...

Can anybody help me?

ffortunato, Nov 16, 2008
  5. linker3000

runoverdog

Man, I owe you a couple of PINTS :lol:
    I was worried about the lack of bluetooth on my Aspire.

The more I use it, the more I love it!!!

runoverdog, Nov 19, 2008
  6. linker3000

John-H

Hi,
    I'm getting this same error when I try to 'brows device' (a HTC S620 Smartphone in my case), I'm also a Linux newby - if fact I think I'm at the bottom of the class of newbys :-(, so any help would be really great.

Cheers

John

John-H, Nov 23, 2008
  7. linker3000

steven.chien

it's too bad that Acer has missed something, I think I will wait until they have corrected this error. And about the problem of sync of data, is the software of sync. included? will this acer apps(contacts) support it? I owned a Nokia N70, will it work with AA1? also, which kind of bluetooth stick should I buy? I saw some claim that they are totally plug and play, no need to install driver on XP, should I use them?

steven.chien, Nov 26, 2008
  8. linker3000

John-H

For what it's worth, I'm using a Blue Soleil USB bluetooth.

I've got as far as getting it to flash, see the aa1 in the phone and can ping the phone. I get the BT icon in the corner and when right click it lists the phone after pairing with it, but thats it.

I can't connect to the AA1 through Internet sharing - BT pan - on the phone even though I've followed Bug's instructions and I still get the same error message as Atomkinder when I try to brows the phone.

This is sooo frustrating !! (but quite fun to ;) )

Even so, many many thanks to Linker3000, Bug and everyone else for the help and instructions. Newbys like me would be completely lost without you :)

Cheers

John

John-H, Nov 26, 2008
  9. linker3000

illuminati2000

Similar problem with OBEX, y can upload and download files from any phone, but i want connect a GPS Bluetooth device Navi-B, i find a great tuto in http://blogs.srijan.in/2008/01/19/bluet ... ith-linux/ i try and can connect with xterm and see the GPS sentences, but i can run with me Navigation Soft, obex show a error and cut the communication with the GPS.

Any idea is welcome.

PD.- Sorry for me bad english, i speak spanish

Thanks.

illuminati2000, Nov 29, 2008
  10. linker3000

Paquito1959

All this to just use bluetooth? Most people are just users, are not -and don't want to be- tech masters. It must be an easier way to make this. For me, it is no possible to do all this manual work.

Anyway, many thanks to people like linker 3000 that try and gives all the advice they can to people just for the sake of helping.

Regards,

Paquito1959, Dec 19, 2008
  11. linker3000

Zaraka

Yes, there's an easier way to do all this stuff, but Acer "forgot" including the drivers in the kernel. It seems that linux users don't need bluetooth support.

Zaraka, Dec 20, 2008
  12. linker3000

kyasuriin

im quite new to linux and im not familiar with the commands... how do i copy the extracted files to the specified folder? I've tried extracting the file directly to the specified folder somehow xarchiver tells me im not permitted to do so. please help. i badly want the bluetooth to work on my AAO. thanks.

kyasuriin, Dec 26, 2008
  13. linker3000

cabanon

At last I have copied the extracted .tgz files (well dragged and dropped) into respective folders when logged in fully as root - which you need to do to avoid permission errors!!!

I logged in as root in a terminal by entering without the quotes: "sudo thunar"

So I got my bluetooth dongle working and finding other devices - yipeee but!!

When I browse (right click bluetooth icon) and find a device and then click connect I lose the AAO standard Linpus Lite "home desktop" as it just goes and switches to and sits as a limited and basic "Gnome" desktop.

I lose all functionality including getting back to the home desktop by pressing the home key or clicking on the home symbol. I cannot access my folders/ files and the right click functionality is inoperative.

The only way I can get the funtionality and the desktop back is by rebooting the AAO which in turn loses my bluetooth connection!

I mainly wish to use bluetooth for file exchange with other devices e.g. mobile phones.

Has anybody else experienced the same and/ or got any suggestions on why this is doing this and how to stop the desktop switch retaining access to my folders and files and/ or get back to the home desktop and away from the Gnome one? Is there a "guru" out there that can help?

Many thanks in advance.

cabanon, Jan 7, 2009
  14. linker3000

quikkie

Thank you for this guide - between the bluetooth package acer provided and the downloads and instructions here I managed to get my bluetooth adapter working.

Just a quick note about DNS servers: on the version of gnome-ppp that I have installed (0.3.23-4) when you click "setup" there is a Networking tab where you can specify manual DNS server entries rather than playing around with /etc/resolv.conf

quikkie, Jan 10, 2009
  15. linker3000

hansholland

Great article ! I was able to surf the Internet with my Nokia N78.
    The Acer One comes with a recovery disc wich I installed on a USB stick.
    I recovered my Acer one with the USB stick, and everything works fine except there is no modem installed.
    If I push the CHECK button from GNOME-PPP it said "No modem was found on your system."
    I tried many things but without succes.
    Please reply if you have a solution.
    Thanks.

hansholland, Jan 11, 2009
  16. linker3000

Godwin

http://www.adsl24.co.uk/files/drivers/bluetooth.tgz

This file no longer exist, where do I get bluetooth.tgz from?

Godwin, Jan 22, 2009
  17. linker3000

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Jan 22, 2009
  18. linker3000

Godwin

Found it

ta

Godwin, Jan 22, 2009
  19. linker3000

sanger440

I have my blue tooth dongles working thanks to this thread. I managed to get it connected to my phone to tranfer files, etc. Worked ok. So I bought a Kensington Bluetooth mouse.

I see the mouse in the bluez applet and when I Browse Device, I see the mouse and then hit connect. After a few seconds an error message pops up that says something like "couldn't connect obex "00:0c:55:f9:55:48". So after researching here I did:

hidd --search

The mouse was found and started working. Here is my question:

What do I have to do to have the mouse auto connect at start up or at least connect without have to enter the hardware address?

Thanks for any advice.

Update: After an exhaustive Google search the solution was to edit the /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf file as outlined here:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=207418

Mouse connects and works perfectly now.

sanger440, Jan 24, 2009
  20. linker3000

tr2n

Works great for me, my dongle is a Cambridge Silicon Radio, a very small half-circle-small dongle.

Thanks for the detailed info! :mrgreen:

tr2n, Jan 25, 2009
Ask a Question