USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linker3000, Aug 4, 2008.

1. linker3000

geojay

I'm still having problems and am suspicious of "AT+CGDCONT=1..." which is the "Define PDP (Packet Data Protocol) context" command. This command fails with a "bad init string". Substituting this for "AT+CGDCONT?" shows that my Vodafone supplied k850i already has four contexts defined in positions 1-4. The relate to the four data accounts that exist on the phone as supplied by Vodafone. These four accounts cannot be deleted or edited from the phone's UI so I assume that's why an attempt to overwrite the first (with "AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","INTERNET"") fails. If I change it to "AT+CGDCONT=5,"IP","INTERNET"" then it succeeds and a connection is established but I can't ping any external IP addresses or the IP address given as P-t-P for the ppp0 connection with ifconfig.

I've also tried changing the dialled number to *9***5# and *9***1# which should try and use PDP contexts 5 (the one I'm creating) and 1 (the appropriate existing context, Contract Internet) but I still can't ping the remote IP address.

I've found useful looking resources at:
    http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkm ... 00194.html
    http://www.woggledog.com/index.asp?subject=GPRS
    http://www.shapeshifter.se/2008/04/30/l ... -commands/

Can anyone help or suggest anything else to try?

Many thanks,
    Geoff

geojay, Oct 10, 2008
  2. linker3000

dj_steve

tryjust using the phone number that chooses pdp 1 and not the init3 code it may work, i warn you that vodafones internet is limited to 500mb/mo and they will double your bill cost if you go over that, - just nearly had them do this to me last month, but i find vodafones signal and general usability to be useless so im moving when my contracts up, back to tmobile for me methinks

dj_steve, Oct 12, 2008
  3. linker3000

geojay

I've now got this working, I don't know what I'd changed to make it work as I'm sure I'd tried this combination before! That's the problem when testing with many variables, you have to be strict to make sure every combination is actually tried.

Basically I didn't have the "AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","INTERNET"" line as there was already an appropriate PDP context hard-coded into the phone in position #3 (the same one as I'd use on the handset when accessing the proper internet):

Code:
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: AT+CGDCONT?
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: AT+CGDCONT?
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: +CGDCONT: 1,"IP","wap.vodafone.co.uk","0.0.0.0",0,0
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: +CGDCONT: 2,"IP","pp.vodafone.co.uk","0.0.0.0",0,0
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: +CGDCONT: 3,"IP","internet","0.0.0.0",0,0
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: +CGDCONT: 4,"IP","pp.vodafone.co.uk","0.0.0.0",0,0
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK 
    I then changed the dialled number to *9***3# in order to use the PDP context defined in position #3 (*9# simply uses the context in the default position which I assume is position #1).

This then works without a problem, even DNS seems to work which I wasn't expecting from the original instructions!

geojay, Oct 16, 2008
  4. linker3000

geojay

I got it working my using PDP context #3 (that one corresponds to post-pay internet APN) and no init3 code. I thought I'd already tried this but obviously not

I'm very conscious of the 500MB limit but I'll only be using it occasionally so I should be OK. I think the 500MB limit is fair for a handset tariff, I'd be hard-pushed to exceed that from surfing on the handset. It would be nice to have a more generous handset tariff option, not all of us want to use dedicated data tariffs and hardware...

In my location (Bath + M4 corridor) I find Vodafone's coverage to be excellent, HSDPA in the centres of population and almost always a signal of some sort elsewhere. There's only a short stretch on the Bristol-London railway (just east of Box tunnel) where there's no signal at all. I moved to them from O2 where the screen spent most of the time saying "Emergency calls only"! I used to have to do inter-network test calls when I worked with Vodafone and, of the five networks' SIMs, T-Mobile was the only one which I always had to take to a window and wait five minutes to get signal. That was in four different locations too! I'm guessing you live somewhere else where the story is reversed. I'd certainly not consider T-Mobile down here.

Cheers,
    Geoff

geojay, Oct 16, 2008
  5. linker3000

dj_steve

yeah i live up north (near newcastle, vodafones just generally crap up here as is o2 (one of my family has a iphone 3g and near enough never gets 3g) tmobiel ive found to be great, 3 also seem good round here, 500mb i managed to nearly use by using phone as a modem (though bearing in mind i was doing live updates through it and other things

dj_steve, Oct 16, 2008
  6. linker3000

roguetrooper

Has anyone managed to bond with a Motorola V3i yet? The phone wont pickup the bluetooth module when I scan but i can see the phone when I run hcitool scan.

I also have a problem editing the hcid.conf file, even though I have write permissions.

Anybody else have these probs?

TIA

roguetrooper, Oct 17, 2008
  7. linker3000

dj_steve

you need to be root to edit hcid and try checking pc is discoverable (run bluetooth app )

dj_steve, Oct 18, 2008
  8. linker3000

ztryfe

Does anybody knows why and how to stop Linpus from deleting the modules that I inserted?

I followed the guide, and i can get BT working correctly, however, a restart later, poof, modules and folder gone, heck even the /var/lock/subsys folders are gone.

Im thinking on a script that will do all the steps at every startup but this is plain dumb, the modules and configs should stay there!

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

ztryfe, Oct 19, 2008
  9. linker3000

Taron

I managed to get my Logilink Bluetooth-Adapter working under Linpus. Now my only problem is that i don't know what to do so that my Aspire One can send files to my mobile using bluetooth.
    Can anyone tell me how i could do this?

Taron, Oct 21, 2008
  10. linker3000

tokyoturnip

Any BT experts care to chime in on some of the BT Headphones questions in the Bluetooth Forum?
    This thread seems to be getting most of the action, so I thought I would try to steal some thunder.

I am looking to get my Plantronics520 working with Skype, the bottom of this topic http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=897&p=36029 I have documented my failures.

tokyoturnip, Oct 22, 2008
  11. linker3000

Taron

No one out there who can help me with my little problem with the bluetooth-file-sending?

Taron, Oct 26, 2008
  12. linker3000

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Nov 7, 2008
  13. linker3000

clcuckow

But it still does not support 2.1 devices :( so I have has to buy a cheap type 2 devices I will have to wait till they roll out the patch before I can use my belkin mini.

clcuckow, Nov 7, 2008
  14. linker3000

tokyoturnip

Anyone Install the Bluez support?
    Know if it supports Bluetooth headsets?
    I maybe give it a try this weekend.
    It would be great is they configured it so I do not have to restart bluetooth after every phonecall in Skype.

tokyoturnip, Nov 7, 2008
  15. linker3000

illuminati2000

illuminati2000, Nov 8, 2008
  16. linker3000

Lars

I just got a bluetooth dongle and thought I should try the Acer official BlueZ.
    It didn't work until I added bluetooth.ko to /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/net/bluetooth/ .
    I'm a linux newbie, but have Acer forgot that kernel module?

Lars, Nov 10, 2008
  17. linker3000

tokyoturnip

I agree with Lars.
    It appears the install does nothing.
    (It actually has scripts running in background checking for USB dongle inserts, to start Bluetooth services).
    However like Lars points out nothing happens until bluetooth.ko is placed in Directory Lars specified.(and don't forget depmod)
    However what is bad about this and the uninstall. I had previoulsy complied my own Kernal Drivers and renamed my folders to bluetooth_orig, so I could see what the Acer supported install does, when ran the installer and uninstaller, it deleted my folders!!!!

I found that my Plantronics headset will not work until the Bluez packages are updated to latest version 3.35(?). And like the "manual" install I did before this install script was made available, it is still nessicary to restart Bluetooth each time I hang up a call in Skype (if other party hangs up it is OK.), but with new scripts provided by Acer, removing and inserting USB dongle will kill and restart Bluetooth service, so it is not sooo painful, no need to open terminal and sudo, just annoying...
    Additionally like manually install, you need to setup .asoundrc file in Home with MAC of headset for Skype to be able to send audio to...

Acer made a stab at it...But not there yet..
    I will try to post details later on how I got my headset to work using the Acer supplied install script. (I am at work now.)

cluckcow and illuminati, I think you just need to get the bluetooth.ko file off the top of this thread and install, and you will will probably see the bluetooth manager start upon inserting USB dongle. (Unles syou have already installed bluetooth.ko, don't forget depmod)

tokyoturnip, Nov 12, 2008
  18. linker3000

DTWone

thought I'd post my slightly different experience of getting bluetooth working
    who knows what I did wrong but I couldn't get the modules added by following the instructions from the start of the first post in this thread, just got loads of dependency errors, not to mention one full re-install from meddling just a bit too much with things I didn't fully understand, like managing to remove the desktop module :oops:
    I finally got the Acer bluetooth download mentioned here (cheers) and then followed the rest of the setup instructions from post 1 on this thread, eventually I got there and my bluetooth now works, YAY!
    Still not sure everything is how it should be, I have a dead 'bluetooth file sharing' icon in the system section of the right click menu, just does nothing???
    But when I plug in the dongle I can at least receive files/photos from my phone which was my main aim.

DTWone, Nov 12, 2008
  19. linker3000

bjc

Thanks linker3000, Lars and Tokyoturnip (& Acer). Ive now got the Acer install of bluetooth (partially) talking to my phone with an icon in my taskbar appearing whenever a bluetooth stick is inserted :D

This was a little confusing as the original post said
    Perhaps either will work :? but Lars location certainly does.

SO in summary (for us idiots) as Root.
    1) Install the Acer provided distribution
    2) Download http://www.adsl24.co.uk/files/drivers/bluetooth.tgz
    (as kindly provided by linker3000 in the first post of this thread)
    3) tar xvf bluetooth.tgz bluetooth/bluetooth.ko
    4) chmod a-x bluetooth/bluetooth.ko
    5) mv bluetooth/bluetooth.ko /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/net/bluetooth/
    6) depmod
    7) /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    (OR Reboot)

Thanks again Guys - now I just have to get my Treo to sync and act as a modem .....

bjc, Nov 13, 2008
  20. linker3000

sergiob

Where i can download bluetooth.gtz? I have no idea... thanks

sergiob, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question