USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linker3000, Aug 4, 2008.

1. linker3000

kevin

Thanks for posting this stuff. I was dreading having to compile all those modules myself :)

The original instructions worked for me, almost to the letter. The only problem was that I found I had to reboot between installing the bluez bits and running bluetooth-applet. The problem was the hcid wouldn't start because (I think) bluez makes some changes to the dbus config, and I couldn't figure out how to reconfigure dbus except by rebooting. Other than that, all OK.

BTW: Once everything has been set up and you have the devices paired and PINs entered, you don't need the bluetooth applet anymore (unless you like the look of the little icon :) ) To initiate a network connection, all I have to do is

% sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    % sudo gnome-ppp

Marvellous.

PS. Does anyone know of a way to do bluetooth file transfers on the One without installing another load of software? Some file managers do this natively, but Thunar does not seem to. I can do obexftp at the prompt, of course; but it's a bit of a pain.

kevin, Sep 18, 2008
  2. linker3000

agape

I don't seem to be able to initiate pairing from my cellphone (old Motorola V360 using TMobile USA). I can use this phone as a bluetooth modem with my N800 (Nokia internet tablet - also running a flavour of Linux) so I know it should work. I should clarify - bluetooth dongle recognized and flashing in the AA1, but my phone doesn't seem to have any option to scan for devices, so I can't make it "look for" the laptop. I've paired it before with laptops and tablets but the pairing request has always originated from the computer.

Is there any way to get the Aspire One to scan for devices?

(BTW - thanks sooo much for these instructions - i was stuck in dependency hell for a long time but once i'd figured out which repositories to disable and then followed your instructions, this worked like a charm!)

agape, Sep 21, 2008
  3. linker3000

agape

I've somewhat answered my own question. I have now got the AA1 to know about my phone.

I followed these directions http://davesource.com/Solutions/20070520.T-Mobile-Nokia-E65-Ubuntu-Linux.html#pair:

"Pair the phone
    We need to find the bluetooth ID of the phone. You can get it with either hcitool or hidd:

% hcitool scan

% hidd --search

For the rest of this document we'll assume we're given a bluetooth ID of "11:22:BE:EF:44:33". Either way, you need to pair the phone. I had some problems here initiating the connection from the linux box. This command should work:

% hidd --connect 11:22:BE:EF:44:33 "

but it didn't work (got the message "Can't get device information: Success" ??!!)
    so then I went to http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-460272.html:

"To search for bluetooth devices:
    Make the device discoverable (look for a "Connect" button on many keyboards and mice or look in the device's manual) and then search for the device with this command:
    sudo hidd --search
    If that command doesn't work, try this one:
    hcitool scan

"If you go to "Bluetooth Preferences", click on the "Services" tab, then click on "Input service". At the bottom click "Add"."

I get this far - my phone shows up in the list of devices, but once I hit "connect" nothing really happens.

Will keep trying! (think maybe it's an issue with PINs - somehow need to get one of the devices to prompt for a pair code ..?)

agape, Sep 21, 2008
  4. linker3000

agape

OK, if I run "bluetooth-applet" from terminal, and then do the above preferences/services/input services/add/ to find my phone, once I hit connect I'm seeing the following error returned in terminal:

"process 24714: arguments to dbus_message_new_method_call() were incorrect, assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_path (path)" failed in file dbus-message.c line 1074.
    This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
    D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace"

i'm searching for info about the cause.

agape, Sep 21, 2008
  5. linker3000

bakafrog

hi 3ld46b, I am having the same problem where once i run the bluetooth applet, there is a twitch in the system tray but then nothing happens. How do I go about correcting the desktop-switch script issue?

thanks

bakafrog, Sep 21, 2008
  6. linker3000

dj_steve

i got all this working and the file transfers working also :) which is about all i use my bluetooth for (i connect phone using usb for internet since it charges then

dj_steve, Sep 22, 2008
  7. linker3000

kevin

If you just get a `twitch', then most likely the applet does not realize that a BT adapter is plugged in. And that might be because of a dbus problem, or because hcid is not running. After doing `sudo bluetooth start', do you see hcid running? If not, what happens if you run `hcid -n' ?

kevin, Sep 22, 2008
  8. linker3000

blackhawk

Thanks for posting this stuff. Since KDE is my default desktop right now, I think KBluetooth look better/native on my desktop :)

Code:
    $ sudo yum install kdebluetooth bluez-utils
    $ sudo service bluetooth start

I need file transfer service only for now, KDE Bluetooth OBEX Push client satisfied me so far. Just for info, my bluetooth dongle is Integrated System Solution Corp KY-BT100 (supported by hci_usb kernel module) and using self compiled kernel 2.6.26.5. Thank you.

blackhawk, Sep 25, 2008
  9. linker3000

geojay

I've tried these instructions but when it comes to connecting I'm unsuccessful:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# gnome-ppp
    WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
    GNOME PPP: Connecting...
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Initializing modem.
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATX3
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATX3
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 SO=0 &C1 &D2
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATQ0 V1 E1 SO=0 &C1 &D2
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: ERROR
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Bad init string.
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: Input/output error
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 SO=0 &C1 &D2
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATQ0 V1 E1 SO=0 &C1 &D2
    GNOME PPP: Unable to KILL wvdial process!
    My phone is a Sony Ericsson k850i connected to Vodafone in the UK.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong and what I should do next?

Many thanks,
    Geoff

geojay, Sep 30, 2008
  10. linker3000

hawky84

just got my aa1 and this thread has been an awesome help!!! thanks I now have my bluetooth mouse up and running to connect to it automatically and got my phone set up as my modem :D dead chuffed

cheers

hawky84, Oct 2, 2008
  11. linker3000

hawky84

I am having a strange issue were the bluetooth-applet disappears after I close the xterm window :shock: anyone else getting this?

hawky84, Oct 2, 2008
  12. linker3000

dj_steve

sounds like its not running in the background - try adding a & to the end of the line when you start it that may work, - not a permanent fix though i sdoubt

dj_steve, Oct 2, 2008
  13. linker3000

arndh

Hello,
    i'm using ANYCOM USB-500 USB Adapter Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.
    It is not recognised, it shows Broadcom only.
    What should i do?
    thx

arndh, Oct 4, 2008
  14. linker3000

hawky84

right after getting my bluetooth mouse set up and startup services sorted I followed the guide to connect my phone. I have connected to my phone and gnome-ppp connects!!! I get an IP Address a Remote IP Address and some packets get sent and recieved, but the status is idle and the speeds show 0.0KB/s and when I open firefix 3.0.3 it is still in off-line mode.

Do I have to use a proxy in firefox or is there a setting to tell firefox to use the DUN?

Cheers

Steve

hawky84, Oct 6, 2008
  15. linker3000

cplnoonoo

Hi there guys(and girls) im pretty new like a day old to the linux system after using windows for my whole life and iv followed everything on this topic posting but i still cant seem to get anywhere with this. i can get along fine until it starts geting into making the pairing with the fone and im not sure whether its just my fone or something im doing wrong. iv had plenty of errors with this one thing so if anymore info is needed to try and solve this then please let me know. btw my fone is the LG Viewty KU990 and iv had it working perfectly on my other laptop which is Win XP SP2 use it all the time when out of the office. Please help lol

cplnoonoo, Oct 9, 2008
  16. linker3000

cplnoonoo

sorry meant to add to last post that i gt the sam error as geojay (posted on page 5 i think as "by geojay on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:16 am" but i dont get the last line "Unable to KILL wvdial process" i just get a window that says "can not open modem" hope this better informs anyone who tries to help cheers

cplnoonoo, Oct 9, 2008
  17. linker3000

geojay

I eventually traced this to the "SO=0" which I'd copied from the OP. It should be "S0=0". The OP has now corrected this.

Thanks

geojay, Oct 9, 2008
  18. linker3000

cplnoonoo

sorry im not too sure exactly wat tht means. have i done something wrong or do i need to change a line of code or txt or something. apologies for lack of knowledge i guess linux and acer should have done all this before they released?

cplnoonoo, Oct 10, 2008
  19. linker3000

geojay

If you're referring to my post then I'm talking about the following lines from the original poster's (linker3000) instructions:

In the line "Init 2" it should be S0=0 and not SO=0 i.e. the character directly after the "S" should be a zero and not the letter "O". linker3000 has since corrected this in his instructions in the first post.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Geoff

geojay, Oct 10, 2008
  20. linker3000

cplnoonoo

yeh cheers that helps kinda. ill run through the whole thing from scratch and note every error or problem i get and see if that helps solve it a bit better.
    1. after typing
    Code:
    usr/bin/bluetooth-applet
    i gt a msg saying 'libnotify-message: Unable to get session bus: Did not receive reply...and so on'
    2.the dongle flashes and the logo is now at the bottom but my fone cant find it unless i right click the logo and preferences then change the 'Mode of operation' at top of first tab. As soon as i change it from the first button to the 2nd or 3rd i get text in terminal saying
    '[Loading simple Config module ...
    Creating backend ...
    Loading socket FrontEnd module ...
    Starting SCIM as daemon ...

** (bluetooth-applet:8254): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_connect_signal: assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)' failed

** (bluetooth-applet:8254): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_connect_signal: assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)' failed

** (bluetooth-applet:8254): CRITICAL **: dbus_g_proxy_call: assertion `DBUS_IS_G_PROXY (proxy)' failed

but my fone can see the laptop, prompts for a pin after i put in pin on fone, the logo on laptop flashes, i left click and this bring up the authentication window where i put in pin and everything is fine apart from more of the code as above eg the ** (bluetooth-applet:8254)... appearing when i left click on the logo to bring up authentication window and then again when i type in pin and press enter.
    3. it says im bonded to my fone in the preferences but my fone doesnt seem to think so. the fone shows a small logo like a network connection icon when connected to other pc as a modem but shows no sign of this when trying with the AA1. And also in services tab only the input line is checked
    4. when i ping device all is ok i get
    Code:
    hci0:   Type: USB
            BD Address: 00:1B:DC:0F:BF:72 ACL MTU: 310:10 SCO MTU: 64:8
            UP RUNNING PSCAN 
            RX bytes:1457 acl:0 sco:0 events:57 errors:0
            TX bytes:746 acl:0 sco:0 commands:47 errors:0
            Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xf9 0x00 0x80
            Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3 
            Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK 
            Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT 
            Name: 'localhost-0'
            Class: 0x00010c
            Service Classes: Unspecified
            Device Class: Computer, Laptop
            HCI Ver: 2.0 (0x3) HCI Rev: 0xc5c LMP Ver: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subver: 0xc5c
            Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
    5. when i do the 'l2ping and the mac address of dongle i get
    Code:
    Can't connect: No route to host
    6. channel of DUN is 8. this is in rfcomm.conf. this file looks like
    #
    #RFCOMM configuration file.
    #

rfcomm0 {
    # Automatically bind the device at startup
    bind yes;

# Bluetooth address of the device attached to the Acer
    device 00:1F:6B:5E:6B:65;

# RFCOMM channel for the connection - use the channel number
    # for DUN found with the sdptool records command...
    channel 8;

# Description of the connection
    comment "My_Bluetooth";
    }

7. after typing in
    Code:
    rfcomm bind rfcomm0[/code i get a message back [i]Can't create device: Address already in use[/i]
    8. after launching gnome-ppp everything is entered all ok with the init string amended for t-mobile network...on the setup page on the modem tab the drop down list for device shows the correct '/dev/rfcomm0' but if i click the detect button it says it cannot detect any modem and displays this code in the terminal [code]GNOME PPP: STDOUT: Editing `/dev/null'.
    GNOME PPP: STDOUT: 
    GNOME PPP: STDOUT: Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
    GNOME PPP: STDOUT: Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
    GNOME PPP: STDOUT: Did you configure it properly with setserial?
    GNOME PPP: STDOUT: Please read the FAQ at [url]http://open.nit.ca/wiki/?WvDial[/url]
    GNOME PPP: STDOUT: If you still have problems, send mail to <[email protected]>.

9. then after closing setup and clicking connect i get the following and tht is as far as i can gt and was the point i asked for help lol
    Code:
    GNOME PPP: Connecting...
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: AT+CGDCONT=1"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: Input/output error
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"
    GNOME PPP: STDERR: AT+CGDCONT=1"IP","general.t-mobile.uk"

the last line of 'Unable to KILL wvdial process only comes up after i click the 'quit' button on the gnome-ppp window.
    This is a pretty long post so apologies but i hope that once u can see exactly wat happens all the way through the setup u may be able to pin-point exactly wat the problem is. Failing this does this setup apply if i decided just to internally add the bluetooth dongle i.e soldering it in. i wud have thought that even though its internal it still connects to one of the usb lines. if im wrong it doesnt matter ill look into that route more if i need to lol.

Cheers

cplnoonoo, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question