USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING*

Discussion in 'Networking' started by linker3000, Aug 4, 2008.

1. linker3000

mattymatt

Steve, a quick thought: Have you got the correct bluetooth id in /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf?

It should be the ID of the phone you are connecting to, not the ID of the bluetooth dongle. That screwed me up for a while, the file comments were a bit ambiguous.

mattymatt, Aug 22, 2008
  2. linker3000

eflyersteve

It messed me up too as I originally put in the ID of the dongle. I've changed the rfcomm file but when I try and bind it to rfcomm0, it says that it can't and the address is already in use.

I'll start fresh this evening and make sure I only use the phone's ID.

Thanks!

eflyersteve, Aug 22, 2008
  3. linker3000

altimar

Re: USB Bluetooth Adapters (Linux) - WORKING

I'm getting the same error here. It spits out the error without exiting after loading what looks like a broken jpg in the system tray. I can right click on it and it gives me options: About & Preferences. Prefs gives me a window with three tabs, to set adapter name/visibility, Services, and General. The bt daemon is running, the dongle is blinking, but searching from my phone, I can't find the computer.

`hcitool scan` does find my phone and it's MAC. `l2ping`ing the phone is successful.

I really don't need to tether the phone for internet, I'm just interested in sending pics back and forth like I used to with kbluetooth on Ubuntu. Anybody have any idea how I can do that? TIA

altimar, Aug 23, 2008
  4. linker3000

jaek

Thanks for the great guide. I followed most of it and got my T-Mobile working. The below Init2 string is for T-Zones (the 4.99 a month service). Replace 'wap' with 'internet2' if you have the 19.99 service and 'internet3' if you have the even more expensive Internet with VPN.

Do the same as the above How-To but enter the following values in gnome-ppp.

Setup -> Modem -> Init Strings -> Init2: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
    Setup -> Networking -> DNS -> Manual DNS -> DNS 1: 66.94.9.120
    Setup -> Networking -> DNS -> Manual DNS -> DNS 2: 66.94.25.120

On the dial dialog (yes, enter 'none' in both the user and pass fields (you might not have to do this but it works))

User: none
    Pass: none
    Number *99#
    Check Remember password

Click Dial and be amazed ;)

If you are using T-Zones you need to use a proxy for http(s) access. Now you need to setup the proxy for Firefox.

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Network -> Connection -> Settings

Use Manual Proxy and enter 216.155.165.50 port 8080 and use it for all protocols. I personally use the Foxyproxy addon to turn it on/off easily.

jaek, Aug 23, 2008
  5. linker3000

jaek

Oh yeah, for those that are trying to figure out where AA1 Linpus starts all it's services, the file is

/etc/rc.d/slim/nowait.sh

Just insert "sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start" anywhere you want in the list.

jaek, Aug 23, 2008
  6. linker3000

carlsalter

Hi, I've installed make using yum but when I try to install the bluetooth drivers in /drivers/bluetooth I get 'make: ***No targets. Stop' The Makefile is in place. Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Thanks

carlsalter, Aug 26, 2008
  7. linker3000

linker3000

Hi,

All the drivers are precompiled so provided you are still using the original kernel all you have to do is copy the files into the specified folder/s - no need to 'make' anything :)

linker3000, Aug 26, 2008
  8. linker3000

SteveSol

Hi all, Linux newbie here. I've been following the instructions posted earlier to try to get my USB bluetooth adaptor working, but I have hit a small stumbling block which I need some help with.

When I try to extract files to /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net / bluetooth, I get a popup window saying Access Denied... can someone advise how I can set Linpus up to allow me access?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Great site by the way, loads of useful info :cool:

Thanks,

Steve

SteveSol, Aug 29, 2008
  9. linker3000

fredrikwe

According to The Register:

Owners of Acer's Aspire One mini laptop will soon get the USB 3G modem support so many of them have been crying out for - and that's without having to replace Linux with Windows XP.

UNQUOTE

Full story at: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/29 ... _linux_3g/

fredrikwe, Sep 1, 2008
  10. linker3000

SteveSol

Help! I'm still getting the access denied message as per my previous post. So, i reckoned i needed to change the root password to give me full admin access. I use sudo su, then passwd, at which point i an prompted for the new password, but i then find my keyboard unresponsive apart from the enter key.. What's going on?

SteveSol, Sep 1, 2008
  11. linker3000

PhilthyPhil

For Australian users, the Jaycar Tiny Bluetooth USB adapter works with these instructions :D

My logitech Bluetooth mouse works very nicely with the 8GB AAO and the Tiny adapter. I did find this Ubuntu forum link http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=594624 helpful as background information.

Regards

PhilthyPhil, Sep 2, 2008
  12. linker3000

vickoxy

Hi,
    i made downloads as suggested but after restart came message "...HAL failed.." or something like that. And when i try to make file bluetooth in: /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/drivers/net/bluetooth
    i just can not. How can i make this file and remove the two scripts there?
    And yes, i am newbie here so.... be patient with me.

vickoxy, Sep 3, 2008
  13. linker3000

thx1138

I have found that the resolv.conf file actually gets the DNS servers from my 3G provider, but the file mask is set incorrectly to be readable only by root. I haven't figured out how to change that mask yet, but you can just drop
    Code:
    sleep 5
    sudo chmod 660 /etc/resolv.conf
    into your BT connection script, after the pppd call, and it will work then.

thx1138, Sep 4, 2008
  14. linker3000

3ld468

Hello All,
    I am trying to get Bluetooth working by following the instructions but when I get to step 5 this happens:-
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    touch: cannot touch `/var/lock/subsys/hcid': No such file or directory
    touch: cannot touch `/var/lock/subsys/bluetooth': No such file or directory

I have searched the forum and have not found anything that might help.
    So whats this all about then?
    Mike
    UPDATE:
    Sorted. All you have to do is create those directories like so:-
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ cd /var/lock
    [user@localhost lock]$ sudo mkdir subsys
    [user@localhost lock]$ cd subsys
    [user@localhost subsys]$ sudo mkdir hcid
    [user@localhost subsys]$ sudo mkdir bluetooth
    [user@localhost subsys]$ sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    Starting Bluetooth services:                               [  OK  ]

Sometimes the obvious is the way to go.
    Now let's see what happens at step 6.
    UPDATE 2:
    Umm... next to nothing. The Taskbar twitches for a millisecond as if the applet is trying to start but the terminal hangs at the cursor until one presses CTRL-C when it returns to the prompt.
    Also, the directories that I made disappeared on shutdown so maybe the obvious is not so clever after all.
    Any ideas?

3ld468, Sep 5, 2008
  15. linker3000

vickoxy

Ok i made my BT adapter working but every time i have to turn on BT in Terminal and pair it with mice. Does anyone knows hot to made it turn on automaticaly with the start up?

vickoxy, Sep 5, 2008
  16. linker3000

3ld468

Hello All (again),
    I have now reached the stage that the Bluetooth service starts on boot and the applet runs - there is an issue with the desktop-switch script that caused my previous problem.
    However, although the Bluetooth adapter is recognized as localhost-0 it refuses to offer to pair with anything. By contrast, the same adapter when connected to my Mac finds both my passive Bluetooth devices and even a phone of a passer-by. By passive I mean that these devices have no controls other than an on/off switch so the onus is on the computer to search for devices. I think that the bluetooth-applet is a sandwich short of a picnic. Are there any alternatives to it?
    Mike
    FINAL UPDATE:
    I have achieved interim closure. It turns out that the BT GPS receiver just refuses to pair. I managed to pair with an old BT dial-up modem but only through the use of hcitool. So the Bluetooth part is mostly working, losing points because I had to resort to the command line (the sort of thing that puts Average Joe off Linux). Thank you for your work, linker3000. Points are also lost because both OS X and PalmOS have no problem pairing with the GPS module which now becomes a 40 Euro paperweight.
    Anyone know of a cheapish GPS module that works?

3ld468, Sep 5, 2008
  17. linker3000

lotus49

If you just type "sudo -s <enter>" at a command prompt you will be logged in with root privileges. No need to change the password.

By default in all Unix variants, users do not have root privileges. There are three ways round this.

1. Log in as root - this has some drawbacks and is now generally frowned upon (you also need the root password which you don't have)
    2. Use the su command (eg su - root) to have root privileges (again need root password)
    3. Use the sudo command which allows you to run a single command as root, eg sudo cat /etc/passwd - this is the method you should use as it does not require the root password (the password you are asked for on most systems is your own but on the One it is configured not to ask for one). If you need to enter several commands in a row with root privileges, type sudo -s <enter>.

If you are wondering what the point of having a separate root user if you can just use sudo, then each user who is permitted to use sudo have to have their username listed in /etc/sudoers which needs to be done by the administrator or whoever installs the OS.

lotus49, Sep 9, 2008
  18. linker3000

SteveSol

Thanks for the info lotus49, that clears things up for me on that score. I got my Aspire One a couple of weeks ago as I have been a Windows user for many years, and wanted to learn something new. I'm getting there slowly, and am finding my way around the OS bit by bit. Luckily I've only had to call on the recover DVD a couple of times so far! :oops:

What I am liking about Linux a lot is the non-commercial nature of the community and developers - there is a lot of very decent software to install. I reckon it's definately worth the time and effort to learn Linux, and of course it always helps to have forums like this to call on for advice!

SteveSol, Sep 9, 2008
  19. linker3000

radu

Thanks for this "how to".
    I have two BT adapters, one that is recognized and working, the other one is just recognized but not working.
    The same thing happens with Ubuntu.

Now, a problem I have is that the blue tooth gnome tray icon doesn't allow me to "browse device", which is grayed out. This happens with both BT dongles :/ Under ubuntu, that is not grayed out.
    Any ideas?

radu, Sep 10, 2008
  20. linker3000

thatisandwas

Hey guys, i cant seem to unpack the 2 files we have to download. Everytime i unpack them i get an error occurred whie accessing the archive. The problem in the command seems to be something like - "will not overwrite just-created"
    Can anyone please help me???

thatisandwas, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question