USB Automount problem

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by softdel, Sep 11, 2008.

1. softdel

softdel

Hello, I'm not a common fedora/Linpus user... but i am having some problems with my usb mount, when i try to plug in a pen drive or a portable hard drive the filesystem doesn't mount, I can see the device in the kern messages, but i can't mount it.

Code:
    scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    usb-storage: device found at 4
    usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    usb-storage: device scan complete
    scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Maxtor 7 V250F0                PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 488281250 512-byte hardware sectors (250000 MB)
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 38 00 00 00
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 488281250 512-byte hardware sectors (250000 MB)
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 38 00 00 00
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
     sdb: sdb1
    sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
    sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0

- dmesg output.

Thanks, Kris.

softdel, Sep 11, 2008
  2. softdel

SammyF70

Can't help, but I have the same problem. manual mounting works, but no hotpluging since yesterday.
    I had problems with my network manager applet not starting on boot, changed some permissions in my home directory (some stuff was owned by root all of a sudden) and removed links to some libs that had mysteriously appeared there too. And since then nm-applet starts alright ... but no usb-drive automount.

Any ideas?

SammyF70, Sep 12, 2008
  3. softdel

steven.chien

i had the same problem in the past, i don't know if this is the solution, but it worked. I was installed the user friendly desktop switcher which is downloaded here, and i switched to the classic desktop, and the usb seems can't be mount. i than boot the aspire one with the acer desktop, than it worked again and i never face any problem like this ever.

steven.chien, Sep 12, 2008
  4. softdel

SammyF70

a short bump : this is apparently related to http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1266&p=16081.

I can automount the USB drive and the storage expansion by killing the process "/usr/bin/Thunar --daemon".
    Now, if I could find out why I need to do this everytime I boot, I'd be really happy. I don't have anything additional in the tray (anymore)

any ideas?

SammyF70, Sep 13, 2008
  5. softdel

softdel

I have customised the OS of the system, I killed the process and it instantly began working again.

Anyone know of a real solution to this problem, thanks to everyone for the temp. solution, we now just need a cause and a fix

softdel, Sep 15, 2008
Ask a Question