USB 3G modem recommendations

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by uzi, Aug 1, 2008.

1. uzi

uzi

Dear All,
    I'm going to purchase my Acer today and would like to stay with lumpus linux.

Could you please advice which 3G USB stick should I purchase (which are supported by available drivers and proved to be working)? (I have a cardbus 3G card only)

Uzi

uzi, Aug 1, 2008
  2. uzi

ronmexico

Novatel Ovation MC950D is reported to be fully linux compatible just need to setup your dialer and go I got one on order and will be trying it out with linpus

ronmexico, Aug 1, 2008
  3. uzi

fuzz

I'll test out a vodafone USB stick on monday, but after a quick google there's drivers here, even some especially for the EEE, so I'm pretty hopeful.

fuzz, Aug 2, 2008
  4. uzi

nullimage

I've managed to use a ZTE MF628 usb modem, it requires some command line tinkering whenever you want to connect. I suspect it is pretty much the same regardless of modem model, unless it's an acer approved one i guess..

nullimage, Aug 2, 2008
  5. uzi

uzi

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I have been checking the prices. The cheapest I've found is the ZTE MF628 (in Austria https://www.yesss.at/diskont-surfen/bes ... .php?aid=7, probably I'll pick up one of those)

P.S:
    I've picked up my AAO device Friday, quite happy with it so far, it is what I expected (even more). I've successfully installed Skype, VLC, Wine (for Rawshooter essentials), rdesktop and Putty. I'm still searcing a working microsoft VPN client...
    Only problem I had is that the Liveupdate is not running properly and I haven't found a restore DVD or USB stick in the package.....

uzi, Aug 4, 2008
  6. uzi

nullimage

After a lot of fiddling about with this modem, i can't recommend it, from what i can gather the previous model the mf622 or the mf620 works much better.

nullimage, Aug 4, 2008
  7. uzi

uzi

Thanks for the answer again, I'll probably pick up the Huawei E220 to remain on the safe (and not too expensive) side

uzi, Aug 4, 2008
  8. uzi

uzi

I've received my Huawei E220 (as Vodafone EasyBox) and I can confirm it is working fine with the vodafone drivers.

uzi, Aug 16, 2008
  9. uzi

Bossieman

Huawei E220 is supported in the kernel, no drivers needed. Just ad *99# as phonenumber /dev/ttyUSB0 as modemport and then ad a username and password as anything, just dont leave them empty, then connect.

Bossieman, Aug 17, 2008
  10. uzi

jbernardo

Where do you add them? I tried using the ppp dial and chat scripts I had from my laptop, but it doesn't seem to update resolv.conf - and of course doesn't show under network manager.

jbernardo, Aug 18, 2008
  11. uzi

uzi

uzi, Aug 18, 2008
  12. uzi

whittaker52

I was just wondering if anyone knew if these drivers worked with other network simcards too? as i'm thinking of getting a 3G usb modem from three, but I wasn't sure if either the inbuilt driver, or the above one that is a vodafone driver would work with another operators sim card. I was initially thinking of going for one of the Huawei E160G (as it has a memory card facility too) but reading some of the topics and posts on here, it looks like the Huawei E220 might work straight out of the box.

Any help on this would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,
    Best Regards,
    Oliver

whittaker52, Aug 19, 2008
  13. uzi

warthofer

Huawei E220

I have a E220 i used on an winXP machine since one year without problems. on the AA1 it does not seem that easy; my kernel is 2.6.23

- when i plug it into the running system it isn't recognized at all
    - when i boot plugged, the leds on the modem flash like they do on winXP, /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/tyyUSB1 are present for the very first ls command (or any other access try). then the leds become dark and the devices are no more present in /dev

did anyone bring this modem to life on AA1? please provide a deteilled howto! thx!

warthofer, Aug 19, 2008
  14. uzi

warthofer

warthofer, Aug 19, 2008
  15. uzi

lotus49

Although I haven't used the Vodafone Mobile Connect software on a One, I have used it on Ubuntu and it works fine with other networks.

lotus49, Aug 20, 2008
  16. uzi

nullimage

I just tried installing an Huawei E220 USB modem, after the latest software updates, and the modem was automatically recognized, it even shows up in the system information and i get a new entry in the network manager for it, but i can't seem to locate anywhere to input the username/password for the connection. Has anyone managed to get this working with the default system software?

I can get it to work using UMTSMon, but that application doesn't change the resolv.conf file and I have to change everytime I connect to some other wireless (or not) network.

nullimage, Aug 20, 2008
  17. uzi

uzi

1.I've donwloaded the file vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux-2[1].0.beta3-ALL-i386-installer.run from the https://forge.betavine.net/frs/download ... taller.run

2. I've executed the file (as I remember I did it as root)

3. Started the application from the menu (Under Network) One window was too big to show the OK button, so I clicked blind via TAB the right button

Sometimes I get an APN error at the first connect, but after disconnecting and reconnecting everything works

uzi, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question