US Police Say Criminals Like Apple's iPhone Because of Encryption

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Some criminals have switched to new iPhones as their "device of choice" to commit wrongdoing due to strong encryption Apple Inc has placed on their products, three law enforcement groups said in a court filing.

The groups told a judge overseeing Apple's battle with the US Department of Justice on Thursday that, among other things, they were aware of "numerous instances" in which criminals who previously used so-called throwaway burner phones have now switched to iPhones. They did not list a specific instance of this practice.

The brief by the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association and two other also cited a jailhouse phone call intercepted by New York authorities in 2015, in which the inmate called Apple's encrypted operating system "another gift from God."

ome criminals have switched to new iPhones as their "device of choice" to commit wrongdoing due to strong encryption Apple Inc has placed on their products, three law enforcement groups said in a court filing.

The groups told a judge overseeing Apple's battle with the US Department of Justice on Thursday that, among other things, they were aware of "numerous instances" in which criminals who previously used so-called throwaway burner phones have now switched to iPhones. They did not list a specific instance of this practice.

The brief by the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association and two other also cited a jailhouse phone call intercepted by New York authorities in 2015, in which the inmate called Apple's encrypted operating system "another gift from God."

Sefie, Mar 5, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Sefie

Sefie

Sefie, Mar 5, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Sefie

IBMPC8088

Law-abiding citizens who deserve the right to privacy enjoy using such devices, too. I hope the police and other alphabet soups understand and respect that as well?

As for the forum, it seems as though there is a standard feature implemented on them now to where after a set amount of time from 5 minutes to 15 minutes or an hour, the thread is no longer editable unless by an admin.

This is mostly to ensure content correction and search engine SEO/SERP/etc. If the links and the content were constantly changing, it would have the opposite effect of ranking for web sites and forums if that were to happen. So from what I see on most forums today, it is to where about 50% or more have a time limit on how long you can edit.

Some people like to type or share content directly through a browser post; most do, but it's ideal for forums with any time limit on posts to just type what you'd like to say on a separate window to a notepad, and then copy and post your words here. If you see any immediate changes that need to be made (like I just did with this paragraph!), you still have time then to do it before it becomes set in stone.

If it's something really important, then an admin may still change it or update it for you manually, but most posts don't require that usually. At least, not most of the ones I've seen for the forums I belong to and participate in to talk with great folks like you and others that interest me. :) If you miss a post or two or have to add a link after, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the forum ops and admins are prety nice people as long as you're not trying to spam or do anything against another user. :cool:

I would worry more about Apple, FBI, and the fact that they're trying to go after anyone and anything that has a degree of privacy and protection to their name. :eek:

IBMPC8088, Mar 6, 2016
    Sefie likes this.
  4. Sefie

Sefie

@IBMPC8088 I'm aware about some forums having that feature ;) But it was literal what I said, I couldn't edit it because the thing was taking ages. Just like it does when I try to post a comment or create a new thread. For some reason I've always had many issues with this forum in particular, since the start. I've learnt some tricks to get by, but they don't always work. I hate it when I click a specific section and I end up being redirected to the main page, that one is the worst. No idea what is wrong, it's probably onlyt me though, because so far all the people here have said it works perfect.

Sefie, Mar 7, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Sefie

IcyBC

Hmm...one bad guy can ruin everything for the entire population of Apple users, and pretty soon there is nothing special about Apple anymore!

IcyBC, Mar 9, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. Sefie

IBMPC8088

Ohhh ok. I figured you probably did but wasn't sure yet. :) Some of the databases do have issues when posted to. About a week or two ago I tried to post a sizeable response to a thread and the database of that forum completely crashed for over an hour. It wasn't this forum which is usually good and stays up well, but a place that I hadn't been to for a long time that had an interesting thread. I decided to wait it out and after about an hour or two, it came back up and posting was possible again.

On another forum, there were issues to where if an admin has to correct or change something from a post, weird settings can get stuck to where a user may have some permissions but lose others, or other wonky stuff happens out of the blue that requires an admin to go back and reset something. If you've had issues posting only after something like that, it might be worth checking into or sending a message to find out if there's anything strange with settings on your account for posting that became different somehow.

It's not that common, but if you are very active and post a lot the database could have gotten confused at one point and changed a setting on its own while doing too much at once. If it's still happening but only to your account, you might wanna see what's up and find out why so you can post more easily again.

IBMPC8088, Mar 11, 2016
Ask a Question