Upgrading to Linux as a programmer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fuzyon, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

I haven't used any other OS than Windows ever since I bought my first computer, I was wondering if Linux is worth it for me as a web developer that is both focusing on design, frontend and backend. I'm using the HTML/CSS/JS combo alongside the MEAN stack for back-end, I don't know if that's helpful but I'll put it out there.
    I personally like the lightweight interface of it but I wonder if I should just stick with Windows 10.

Fuzyon, Jul 4, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Fuzyon

IBMPC8088

If you're doing anything more on your computer than what you would do and trust to a library computer...you definitely do not want to use Windows 10. Windows 8 and Win7 aren't inherently safe either, but they're a lot better than 10 if you have to choose the lesser evils.

If you're using Adobe Dreamweaver (or the older Macromedia Dreamweaver prior to the Adobe acquisition of them), you can run those right out of WINE over most versions of linux. Even if not for a particular package, you can still virtualize Win7 and run just what you need out of that, set up a network share, and share the clipboard to seamlessly interact between the virtual program on 7 and the other programs and development you want to do on Linux.

As it stands, you can use either one well for web development and web design also. PHP, Python ala Django, Javascript, Java development, and other web programming and scripting can be done on either system.

Sometimes it's done a little differently, but you can always make it work and enjoy the benefits of the one that you choose to work with on that system. Be sure to check out the Synaptic Package Manager or other Repositories for software that you can install and use for development. As you'll see when on there, there's plenty.

If you're serious about solid development without interruptions and maximizing your resources and what you can do with them and all with stabilitym then choose linux.

If you just want fast and easy/now, but with little to no security by comparison and excessive use of ram or resources, or if you have to pander to an IT department or corporation's need or want to use Windows perpetually...then use Windows.

I've found that both systems can be used just fine for development. Ironically, OS X is the only one that seemed more restrictive than Windows or Linux due to XCode, and the way they want things done for approval in Apple store, etc. Depending on what you do, your mileage may vary.

If I were you, I'd use both, but have linux as your main PC host, and then just virtualize, backup, and emulate a copy of Windows 7 if or when you ever need it. I can't even recommend emulating Windows 10 for anything serious, but you could I guess if you had to or really wanted to for some reason.

IBMPC8088, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

I like the OS X interface and I wouldn't mind programming on it, for the things that I do it's more than enough. I've had Windows 10 for 7 months now and it's pretty good, I haven't heard of any security issues or performance slow downs but it's pretty stable so far. I think I will just dual boot Linux and Windows and see if I like Linux enough to keep it, I've been running Windows my whole life and a switch would take me a while to accomodate.

Fuzyon, Jul 7, 2016
Ask a Question