Upgrading to latest version of Fedora

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by andywilliams99, Oct 20, 2008.

1. andywilliams99

andywilliams99

I've seen a few user guides on these forums which require an upgrade to the latest version of Fedora.

My questions are:

1) Does upgrading reset all my settings and installations - will I need to reconfigure everything again after the upgrade
    2) Is it worth upgrading
    3) Is there a good how to guide to upgrading

Thanks.

Andy

andywilliams99, Oct 20, 2008
  2. andywilliams99

rbil

Don't confuse an "update" with an "upgrade". The former retains the version of the OS you're using and simply updates things on that version, whereas an "upgrade" actually changes what version of the OS you're using. I doubt very much that you want to "upgrade" your OS, as there is no guarantee that it will work on the AAO and it will certainly kill Acer's customizations that they've made to the OS that comes bundled on the AAO (which is Linpus/Fedora 8 with Acer customizations) . If someone comes forward and says they're using a newer version of Fedora and it all works, then you could consider an "upgrade" to that version, should you so desire.

To put something like this in Windows terms. :) An "upgrade" would be like moving from XP to Vista (although that is HIGHLY debatable whether that constitutes an upgrade) and an "update" is like adding a Service Pack to XP.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 20, 2008
  3. andywilliams99

quadrispro

I have a similar question.

Is it safe updating Fedora packages with Software updates?

quadrispro, Nov 18, 2008
  4. andywilliams99

Grim Squeaker

If you are referring to people saying you need to type
    Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    you misunderstood. That merely tells pirut (aka Add/Remove software) and yum the new locations of the Fedora repositories after their security was breached a few months ago. It does not update your system to a higher fedora core.

Grim Squeaker, Nov 18, 2008
Ask a Question