Upgrading the Acer Aspire One 8.9

Discussion in 'Windows' started by prosperity4ume, Mar 25, 2009.

1. prosperity4ume

prosperity4ume

I have the Acer Aspire One 8.9 Model Number AOA 110-1588. I have a 8GB NAND flash Module in my unit. i want to how to get the 80GB 2.5" Hard Disk Drive that acer says is an optional choice. acer has no clue of the machine they manufactuered. can anyone help me on this?

prosperity4ume, Mar 25, 2009
  2. prosperity4ume

yachtpro

Don't know if you can upgrade the SSD (solid state drive) to an actual spinning type hard drive in that original machine, but if you browse the "hardware" forum you can find out. When I bought my Acer One, it was supposed to come with the 120 gig drive but actually had a 160 gig drive installed, complete with Win XP installed. You might be better off selling your Acer and just upgrading to the new 10" screen, 6 cell battery, 160 gig drive for the same price as the old 120 gig 8.9" screen version. It has the same street price as mine at $349.00 at Staples, Best Buy, Amazon, etc. Look around and you can find better sale prices. Try eBay. Good luck.

yachtpro, Apr 4, 2009
  3. prosperity4ume

melhiore

Easiest way of doing this upgrade is to use 1.8" HDD from iPod - this one will fit w/o any major modifications. Uses exactly the same ZIF tape - white flat linking SSD...

The next way of doing this is solder PATA/SATA connector to mobo - this will take you a lot of time and obviously you can damage mobo - warranty does not work in that case... 2.5" is possible but it's a risky mod...

More here:

2.5" HDD: http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=637
    CF card: http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=59
    1.8" HDD: http://aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=529

Have fun...

melhiore, Apr 4, 2009
  4. prosperity4ume

Forone

You might want to keep your eyes open for improvements to SSD drives this year - I've read several manufacturers developing 64gigs at higher speeds near future, though not out yet as far as I know. I'm thinking to replace my 160gig HDD (I'll never use all that on the netbook) with a large SSD for its hardiness - the HDD is the one thing that keeps me from throwing the machine around.

Forone, Apr 4, 2009
  5. prosperity4ume

MaU

Is it possible to replace the hdd for a ssd?? Sweettttttt I didn't know that... 64GB sounds good enough for me..

MaU, Apr 5, 2009
  6. prosperity4ume

Forone

Forone, Apr 5, 2009
Ask a Question