Upgrading RAM on new HDD model

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by B3n, Sep 7, 2008.

1. B3n

B3n

Hi there,

I've opened up my aspire, but I'm struggling to take the motherboard out so I can flip it over. I've taken out the 3 screws from the main motherboard, but it still seems to be held out. All the visual guides I've found for this seem to be either for the older aspire, or SDD version.

The screw on the bottom right hand side of the mobo (just next to the wireless card) is stripped and won't come out. Will it be possible to take out the other mobo part with this in?

B3n, Sep 7, 2008
  2. B3n

dattaway

If you are mechanically inclined, a stripped screw of that size can be reslotted for a flathead screwdriver with a Dremel cutoff tool. One mistake and the motherboard can be used for spare parts.

dattaway, Sep 7, 2008
  3. B3n

melhiore

melhiore, Sep 7, 2008
  4. B3n

B3n

That's the guide I'm using, but the model is different as it doesn't have these:-

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9732/aao023rd3.png

I'm guessing it's impossible to remove the mobo without removing the secondary interface before? If this is the case I may as well put it back together, cos the screw isn't coming out...

:(

B3n, Sep 7, 2008
  5. B3n

melhiore

True. HDD is fixed to mainboard then you don't have those screws... Rest of the tutorial should be OK.

melhiore, Sep 7, 2008
  6. B3n

B3n

Well I've managed it. Took a bit more force I think, and had to unscrew the hinge screws give more room to lever it out.

Unfortunately, one of the keyboard springs won't pop back out, so the left hand side of my keyboard is ever so slightly higher. Might put some double sided tape underneath, but not overly concerned.

All I'd say is the keyboard catches don't need as much force as is indicated in the tutorial.

Seems a bit noisier now. Did it always whirr constantly? Probably just paranoid.

Thanks for the help.

B3n, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question