Upgrading RAM - Much easier than I anticipated

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by osdude, Jul 25, 2008.

1. osdude

osdude

It took me 23 minutes to upgrade the RAM using the method below
    http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609546&highlight=bb320

Here are a few things I would add.
    1. Take a piece of paper and put the screws in order you remove them so you will be putting the same screws back into the same holes. My eyes are bad, but it sure looked like there were different length screws.

2. The clips that hold the keyboard in are black and they push IN on my keyboard. GENTLY, push these in and the keyboard will "click" up. It is much easier to get the middle one first. The one above "F2" was a little tricky, even after the other two were done. There are also secondary, non-moving retainers on the sides (Caps Lock and Enter). These do not push in.

3. In the guide, after you remove the keyboard and faceplate, there are only 2 screws to remove and a lot of empty holes. The guide above mentions taking a picture... It's probably a good idea. I spent two minutes with a magniufying glass finding a hole with a noticeable screw mark - found it!

I can confirm, this RAM does work
    PNY Optima 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 $21 USD NewEgg

I installed per the above instructions, which was much easier than I had anticipated.

Turn it on and.... no touchpad :(

I open it back up and reconnect the cable to touch pad and notice, there's a little black line on the cable that sits perfectly on the connector footing when properly lined up. Also, make sure you have the cable dead center and perfectly straight into the connector.

Restart and everything is working (for me)

Oddly, the System info shows 2GB RAM installed...

Performance increase? I don't really see much, if any using the default Linpus OS. Now I can upgrade to Kubuntu!!

tomorrow...

osdude, Jul 25, 2008
  2. osdude

Darren198712

the same happend with me in linux I am using Linux now it shows 2048 when I replaced my 512 with 1024

I am using PNY memory too but its DDR2 667. I only paid 25GBP for it

sorry 25gbp was fitted if I never wanted it fitted it would of cost me 12GBP (I got all of my stuff from Hong Kong)

Darren198712, Jul 25, 2008
Ask a Question