upgrading 2gb to 4gb on AAO happy2

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by kli821, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kli821

kli821

i would like to know if it is possibly to upgrade my AAO happy2 from 2gb to 4gb?
    i know it says that it only can have max. of 2gb, but i have read somewhere that it is possible to install a 4gb ram stick too. thanks in advance.

kli821, Jun 20, 2013
  2. kli821

Nestone50

I see your netbook has this RAM: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)
    That being said, I also see this netbook came standard with Windows 7 Starter which I understand to be 32 bit. 32 bit Windows software can only "see" 2 GIGs of RAM. While it is possible to install a 4 GIG stick of RAM, the OS will only use 2 GIGs of it so you accomplish nothing. Various memory vendors show a 2 GIG memory maximum as shown here: http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Acer-memory/Aspire+Netbooks/Aspire+One+Happy+2-upgrades.html
    I don't think the hardware will be compatible with a 64 bit operating system but I don't know that for sure. I have a 532h with fairly similar specs. Due to the limitations of the CPU and on board graphics, I doubt that the additional memory would accomplish much anyway. I use the CPU gadget on my desktop and I find the CPU gets pegged at 100% long before I run out of 2 GIGs of memory.

Nestone50, Jun 21, 2013
  3. kli821

kli821

Nestone50, thank you for your quick response. my other question is if i upgrade my windows 7 Starter to windows 7 Pro would it "see" more than 2 gigs?

kli821, Jun 22, 2013
  4. kli821

Nestone50

Again, you need the 64 bit version of Windows 7 in order to be able to get the benefit of more than 2 gigs of ram. If your hardware allows you to install Windows 7 Home and up in the 64 bit version, you would then be good to go. Suggest you do a Google search to see if this is possible.

Nestone50, Jun 22, 2013
  5. kli821

g3vbl

g3vbl, Jun 23, 2013
  6. kli821

kli821

Nestone50 and G3vbl thank you for your response. now, my other question is would i benefit from 4gb compare to 2gb such as speed? because i don't think i'll be able to change to 64bit version. thanks again.

kli821, Jun 23, 2013
  7. kli821

g3vbl

I'm not familiar with your Happy 2 but it seems to have an N570 cpu which Intel states will only support 2GB:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/55637/Intel-Atom-Processor-N570-1M-Cache-1_66-GHz

even though there are reviews which suggest otherwise:
    http://www.techspot.com/news/42641-intel-officially-launches-dual-core-atom-n570-processor.html

On the other hand the N570 is a 64-bit architecture device.

Whether you see much benefit from increased memory depends on what you are doing but memory is, relatively, cheap and more is, generally, better.

g3vbl, Jun 23, 2013
  8. kli821

kli821

g3vbl, thank you for you links. it was very helpful, but now i'm more confused.

now, if i try to put an 4gb stick in there and if it didn't work would it masses up my netbook. what would you recommend that i do? thanks in advance.

kli821, Jun 24, 2013
  9. kli821

Nestone50

It is my experience that if you put in a stick of ram that isn't compatible with your netbook, it simply won't post. Or, if it does post, you might be plagued with the BSOD or other problems. It should not hurt the netbook, it just won't operate properly which will result in the need to remove it and reinstall your 2 gig stick.

Nestone50, Jun 24, 2013
  10. kli821

rodimus773

I heard about people exceeding their listed max RAM specs. For instance, some people are adding up to 16GB of RAM on an AO756 (listed as 8 max) or if you have an Atom CPU and is listed as 2GB max, it will take 4GB. There are forums where people have experimented with several levels of success. Again research before you try, but its out there. One thing to consider, a lot of RAM might not make a whole lot of difference. For instance my AO756's RAM WEI score with 6GB is 7.4, some people are reporting that same exact score with 8GB. I'm pretty sure if wont change a whole lot if 8GB more is added. You just have to draw the line according to what meets your needs. Proceed wisely.

rodimus773, Jul 29, 2013
  11. kli821

Nestone50

Memory is only one limitation as to a computer's speed. Buss speed and the CPU are others. No point in loading up on excessive memory if the CPU is maxed out. After all, this is a netbook. If you have a "need for speed" you should be looking at a gaming machine. I would think 4 gigs on a netbook would be ample.

Nestone50, Jul 29, 2013
  12. kli821

Zuleyma Castillo

Is it possible to update the mother board and make it run a 4 GB ..

Zuleyma Castillo, Feb 6, 2014
  13. kli821

Brian8gbSSDLinux

In a NETBOOK (like the Happy) the amount of RAM that can be used is a function of the BIOS... NOTHING to do with the 32/64 bit limitation of the Operating System.

This was because MS imposed this limit on the Manufacturers because MS were not happy (!) about the ideas of Netbooks as they wanted people to buy Windows Tablets... which 'died' because Netbooks were ORIGINALLY FAR Cheaper than those Tablets

@Zuleyma - Laptop cases and Motherboards (Mobo) are DESIGNED TOGETHER; so that they fit together - so, there is very little chance of upgrading a motherboard for a particular Laptop.
    Desktops, on the other hand... One can fit any MoBo you like - as long as it will fit in the Case i.e. a Mini ITX Mobo will fit in a Full Tower case - but a full Tower Mobo will not fit in a Mini ITX case...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Feb 6, 2014
  14. kli821

Nestone50

With a netbook, if you install the "CPU Meter" from Microsoft gadgets (right click on the desktop and choose gadgets from the drop down menu) you will find the CPU will reach 100% under load most times before the memory meter pegs above 80%. While I realize extra memory takes some of the load off the CPU as a result of virtual memory not being used, it is the CPU and graphics chips that limit the performance of these netbooks. You can't make a Ferrari out of a VW Beetle. Netbooks and great for travel due to their light weight and compact form. Their purpose is email and word processing and the like. Not so much for massive multitasking or gaming.

Nestone50, Feb 6, 2014
Ask a Question