Upgrade to Windows 10 if you have a newer computer

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Now that Windows 10 is out and gaining more attention, I am often asked if it would be a good idea to upgrade to the Microsoft’s new operating system. Generally my answer is yes as long as the PC that is being upgraded is less than a few years old.

However, the more I work with Windows 10 the more I realize that the broad benefits of this new OS cannot be fully realized by installing it on old hardware. The big opportunity for Microsoft and its PC partners is that there are more than 500 million users out there with PCs that are over 5 years old, but with growing tablet sales and declining PC sales it is clear that success of Windows 10, and the future of the PC, lies in convincing users to upgrade.

Over the next few months you will begin to see a huge marketing effort that is designed to showcase the capabilities of Windows 10 running on the latest hardware from all of Microsoft’s PC partners. The main message is that technology advances are now spawning the best OS, The most innovative PC designs and form factors, and Intel’s best processor ever.

If you have been shopping for a new computer lately you have probably seen the latest laptops, convertible PCs and touchscreen systems running Windows 10. What’s not so obvious is the power, advanced capabilities and integrated solutions that come with these new systems.

One of the most compelling form factors are the convertible or 2-in-1 laptop and tablet computers from all of the major PC manufacturers including HP, Lenovo and Dell. These systems combine the power of a laptop for business class computing and the versatility of a tablet for browsing, presenting and notetaking.

We recently had friends visiting and they brought their Apple iPad and MacBook computer with them. The versatility of Windows 10 really hit me when I realized that a 2-in-1 convertible PC could replace both devices with a single PC while adding capabilities like a pen interface, multiple I/O ports and compatibility with both business and entertainment software.

http://www.rgj.com/story/money/busi...ndows-10-if-you-have-newer-computer/74760338/

Actually I won't be upgrading as long as I have this laptop ;) Will wait til next laptop I buy, then Windows 10 will already be installed.

Sefie, Oct 29, 2015
  2. Sefie

thess

I keep getting update notifications on my laptop for Windows 10. I have 8 right now, but I'm skeptical to upgrade because I'm worried it won't be as user friendly as what I have now. But I have only had this computer for about a year so I guess I could if I wanted to.

thess, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Sefie

something back

For windows 8 users the transformation to windows 10 will be very easy
    the main thing to keep in mind is the setting section for windows 10.

It's only windows xp, and windows 7 users that will see the biggest change.

something back, Oct 29, 2015
  4. Sefie

IcyBC

You already know that my HP died and I don't have to deal with Window anymore unless my son comes to me with his Toshiba laptop if something doesn't work. He is still on Window Vista, I believe and he has no desire to update, which is fine with me as I don't know much to trouble shoot if something goes wrong.

IcyBC, Oct 31, 2015
Ask a Question