Update gone wrong

Discussion in 'Linux' started by arosso, Nov 14, 2008.

1. arosso

arosso

OK I did an "update" including "patch for the power center (1800064). Restarting it looked like things were going well until the start up went back to the start. This time it worked and the normal aspire one screen appeared except the bar at the bottom was missing and there was a white rectangle with a star on it. Running the cursor over this gets the message " This item has not been configured". I've also lost the left click xfce capability, the wifi link has gone and the Network Centre on Settings doesn't work.

Any suggestions for a way forward for a complete Linux newbie?

arosso, Nov 14, 2008
  2. arosso

Jaycb

Exactly the same thing happened to me the first (and only) time I did an update. I ended up taking the AAO back to the shop in disgust, but to be fair the lad in Currys Digital was great and made me a recovery USB there and then and re-installed Lipus from scratch. If you have the ability to use another PC to create a recovery USB stck I'd do that, if not return it to the place you bought it and demand they put it right or replace it on the spot.
    It infuriates me that Acer think they can get away with this - only lorry-loads of returned stock will change their attitude.

Jaycb, Nov 18, 2008
  3. arosso

Duncan_Rowland

If you have "tinkered" with your One in anyway, I'd recommend not using the acer update.

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 18, 2008
  4. arosso

arosso

Thanks, guys.

In the end I got a USB DVD drive and restored from the DVD.

arosso, Nov 27, 2008
Ask a Question