UNR vs minimal install (alternate 9.04)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by skiwithpete, May 17, 2009.

1. skiwithpete

skiwithpete

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if I should try UNR and mod it to my needs, or whether I should do a minimal base install using the alternate 9.04 CD, and build it up to exactly what I want.

This basically boils down to two questions:

1) are there tweaks applied to UNR that won't be available or switched on during a base install.
    2) is it easy to replace the UNR desktop with a conventional gnome taskbar/desktop setup - because that's all I really want?

Cheers,

P

PS I have the 16gb, SSD version.

skiwithpete, May 17, 2009
  2. skiwithpete

itres

1. I personnaly prefer to go for the easy solution which an install that requires minimal tweaking. But I don't know the answer to that question.
    2. The UNR provides a simple gui to switch to a normal desktop and back. I read that there were some issues with that and I don't know if it has been fixed.

Grtz,

itres, May 17, 2009
  3. skiwithpete

maximegb

I tried many distributions to replace Linpus. For the moment, I'm satisfied with a 9.04 UNR.
    It was easy to install, and I removed maximus (the software which maximise every windows) and netbook-launcher (I prefer the gnome menu).

I also tried a 9.04 alternate, but setting the wifi was painful.

maximegb, May 18, 2009
  4. skiwithpete

skiwithpete

I did a minimal install.

And then added some basic stuff (plugged into to ethernet) using the line command

apt-get install xorg gnome-session gnome-panel gdm metacity gnome-terminal

I went through and installed firefox and Open Office.

But I have to tell you, firefox doesn't work well at all... it keeps going dark. So I installed firefox 3.5 (codenamed Shiretoko) and that works great and is really snappy.

I don't know if I'm missing out on something in UNR that's really worth it... But I have the interface I want, so I guess I'm happy for now.

I can't report having any problems with the wifi, as reported above, and have recently the backports so the wifi light works too.

So far so good (except that unexplainable bump with FF3.10)

skiwithpete, May 18, 2009
  5. skiwithpete

lotus49

I run a complete Jaunty installation on my One and I would say there is very little point in spending any time customising your installation for size or speed (except perhaps the SSD tweaks).

My 8GB SSD is 48% full with pretty much everything standard installed and it runs very well with no speed problems at all. The only customising worth doing is to try to get the hardware working. Unfortunately, depending on what hardware matters to you, this may not be very easy. If you don't use your card readers then you're away, but if you do you are out of luck and will probably spend fruitless hours trying and failing to get Ubuntu to support them. Everything else seems to work fine although the wifi drivers are a little flaky but do work OOB.

lotus49, May 19, 2009
Ask a Question