UNR 9.04 and AA1 110 ssd benchmark with Bonnie

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Chycky, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Chycky

Chycky

I think my AA1 11o with ssd drive is pretty slow. When Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR 9.04) updates and install new software the computer respond so slow that it's no menaning using it. Well, I have the feeling that the computer turns very slow when the ssd LED is green (ssd is active). I did a benchmark with Bonnie but I can't understand the result. Does anyone have an experience of AA1 110 and slow ssd? This is the result of Bonnie (be aware that the numbers isn't placed below the names of the columns in some cases in the table):

Version 1.03c ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
    Machine Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP /sec %CP
    user-laptop 3G 5063 50 8825 6 7245 7 9726 86 35646 15 1457 19
    ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
    -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
    files /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP
    16 1914 99 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ 1824 93 +++++ +++ 6353 99
    user-laptop,3G,5063,50,8825,6,7245,7,9726,86,35646,15,1456.8,19,16,1914,99,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,1824,93,+++++,+++,6353,99

What do you think, is the ssd to slow? Or is it normal speed of AA1 110 ssd? How is the speed compared to the AA1 150 with "old" hdd instead of ssd?

Chycky, Jul 5, 2009
  2. Chycky

okeribok

Hi,

Having just tried UNR 9.04 myself, I can say: if your SSD is too slow for Ubuntu, then so is mine. The light just stays on all the time and it's really slow. I think it has something to do with indexing for updates, because there's a whole list of updates to install.
    <off topic rant>Come one ubuntu people! I just DLd the image minutes ago. How come there are updates already? </off topic rant>

Oh well. I just don't have the patience to make linux things work. I'm gonna revert to Acers linpus, because that has the highest level of things that work and workability. Though I do dislike having to manually select my wifi network every time...
    I *am* gonna try moblin now, because I have nothing better to do.

hth

okeribok, Jul 5, 2009
  3. Chycky

DutchDK

The SSD's used by most netbooks are not state of the art SSD's and have fairly low write speeds, although the read speeds are quite good. If you want an SSD based netbook, the only way to get around that on the hardware level, is to change the regular SSD to higher costs SLC nand technology based SSD's.
    If that isn't an option, you need to optimize the setup of your chosen Linux distrobution.

The reason Ubuntu 9.04 UNR is slow on your AAO during installation, is mainly due to Ubuntu's usage of the Scrollkeeper documentation management program - Explained in short, when you install or update packages, the included documentation of those packages needs to be indexed and added to the ScrollKeeper database. This involves reading, indexing and writing to the SSD, and as said earlier, the SSD's aren't that fast in writing data.
    s
    Remember, Ubuntu 9.04 UNR is not tuned towards any specific model of netbooks - It works well with all netbooks, whether they are hard disk based or SSD based. So in order to optimize your installed Ubuntu 9.04 UNR, you need to apply some tweaks that are directly related to your model. Those tweaks can be found both in this forum, or on the Ubuntu community forums and Wki pages. Forinstance, check the SSD performance section of this page : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L - that should get you started on optimizing your Ubuntu installation. As for the ScrollKeeper issue mentioned above, the procedure described on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne works.

DutchDK, Jul 5, 2009
  4. Chycky

DutchDK

Would you rather have no updates ? Heck, go out, purchase a brand new Vista or XP machine, turn it on, connect to the internet, and then try checking how many updates are waiting for you on microsoft update :p

DutchDK, Jul 5, 2009
  5. Chycky

Chycky

Ok, but what about the test results? Does my ssd seem to be slower than normal AA1 110 ssd:s?

Chycky, Jul 6, 2009
  6. Chycky

DutchDK

I don't know, since I didn't bothered looking at them. And I won't bother looking at them, until the results are pasted into a post, without ruining the formatting (Channelling sir Alec Guinness : "Use the codetag, Chycky").

DutchDK, Jul 6, 2009
  7. Chycky

malonso2

Did you install it with ext 2? If you use a journal file system you will end up with very poor results on your ssd since it will be writing all the time.

malonso2, Jul 6, 2009
Ask a Question