Unofficial Aspire One Windows XP Recovery Disc

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by imcrazy, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imcrazy

Cianfry

Sorry!! It also create the PQSERVICE partition during the installation?!? :?:

Cianfry, Feb 24, 2009
  2. imcrazy

bperrybap

Just an FYI related to this topic. (and How to get an official recovery CD for FREE!)
    I just spent several days going round and round with Acer support about what is on the
    "Official" Acer Recovery CD.

It can be found at this location:
    (Use IE as their site has issues with Firefox)

http://www.acerpanam.com
    Then click on the [United States] in the map picture.
    Then click on the link "eRecoveryCD purchase".
    Not sure if this will always work, but the direct link is:
    https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx

They want your serial # to know what media to send you.
    They charge $20 for the CD and then a ridiculous $10 for shipping for the CD.
    There is no way to download the ISO image and burn your own CD instead
    to save the $10.

I have spent the past several days trying to figure out what is on this CD
    before I purchase it.
    I want to know if it a full restore that restores everything including the PQSERVICE partition
    or is it a Windows XP OEM CD customized for the One?
    You would think this is simple question.

Anyway, I'm still not quite sure what the answer is.
    I went round and round with their email support and their phone support, where first they said
    yes it restores the recovery partition and then they said it didn't.
    I even asked if their resellers have the CD so I could take a look at or even
    purchase if from them. They said no, they only give them directly to customers.
    Most of their statements lead me to believe that is a customized OEM install CD
    and will not restore the disks recovery partition and functionality.
    It merely restores the OS - at least for the XP version.
    Not sure what the Linux CD does - but who would pay any money for that???

Now for the most interesting part.
    HOW TO GET A Recovery CD for FREE!!!!!

So the support guy says he can send me one. I ask if there is a fee
    and he says well not if you are still under your 90 day warranty.
    Unfortunately for me, I've had mine longer than 90 days.

It turns out that if you call support and ask for one within the 90 day warranty period, they
    will send you a recovery CD for free.

So my suggestion is that everyone call Acer tech support as soon as you unwrap the box
    and get them to send you your free recovery CD.
    If enough people start calling them and getting recovery CDs,
    we can change their policy so that they start including the recovery CD in the box.

Here is the US support number:
    Acer Technical Support at 1-800-816-2237 Mon-Fri 7am-9pm CST

--- bill

bperrybap, Feb 26, 2009
  3. imcrazy

sean808080

thanks for the tip!! :shock:

sean808080, Mar 2, 2009
  4. imcrazy

ssmitty85

Will This work for the 10in version?? doesn't it come with diff drivers???

ssmitty85, Mar 2, 2009
  5. imcrazy

CIO

Hello,

I am trying to customize my Aspire One and I realized that I needed the disk to be in NTFS format for my software to work. Acer ships the laptops formatted in FAT32 only. So I ran the convert utility but got a very sluggish system because it was a conversion instead of a clean format into NTFS then install XP on top of that. Acer's recovery disk only restores the disk back to FAT32 which does me no good.

Will the OEM available in the links be able to format the disk partition into NTFS before installing XP?

Thanks!

CIO, Mar 3, 2009
  6. imcrazy

LokoTripper

Hey guys . . . how you all doing ??

I have a problem . . . you see I installed W7 on my AA1 , but now I want to go back to XP , the thing is that when I run the recovery disc and tell the OS installer to format the "C" partition , it tells me this :

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged. :shock: :eek: :cry:

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disc is a SCSI disk, make sure your SCSI devices are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows XP to continue. press Enter

Anybody have an idea ?? now when I tried to boot up again (to W7) it told me : problem loading system :eek: :shock:

LokoTripper, Mar 8, 2009
  7. imcrazy

LokoTripper

Ok . . . so I managed to install , I really really don't know how or why it was giving me so much trouble , got a question though , am I supposed to have the acer recovery management thingie ?? because I do not have it anymore :?: :shock: :eek: any thoughts on this ??

LokoTripper, Mar 8, 2009
  8. imcrazy

Guest Guest

Hi i used this recently and it works a charm, it saved me so much time as my copy of xp home is OEM service pack 2. I used the key that came with my OEM disk and It activated no problem so thanks very much

Cec57 :D

Guest, Mar 15, 2009
  9. imcrazy

jbird123

Links are dead :(

jbird123, Apr 9, 2009
  10. imcrazy

aliraja

excellent work

aliraja, Apr 30, 2009
  11. imcrazy

bigmac44

Links worked perfectly fine for me. Thanks.

bigmac44, Jun 3, 2009
  12. imcrazy

HBH12

I never thank you for this file my friend, ThankS!!!

HBH12, Jul 4, 2009
  13. imcrazy

goldsend

The links are dead. I can not download anything from any of them.
    This is not including the rapidshare links as I have not tried those because I don't have an account and can not see paying for an account.

goldsend, Jul 10, 2009
  14. imcrazy

3rz

I need AO531h (ZG 8) recovery cd, someone can give me a link to download? yesterday im forget to create the recovery CD. when i want to divide my hdd to 3 partitions, accidently i used to rebuild partition table and that cause my PQS partition unreadble. nothing happen with alt+f10 trick, the recovery partition was gone. i was reformated entire my hdd. now im installing xp pro on my AO531. it seems unstable version OS for my netbook. so i really need recovery CD or DVD to restore my netbook. appreciate to any help.

3rz, Nov 2, 2009
  15. imcrazy

zaheer_sagitarius

All links dead ! :(

zaheer_sagitarius, Feb 12, 2010
  16. imcrazy

xaqc

Everything is down ... have you found another source ?

xaqc, Apr 7, 2010
  17. imcrazy

gob15

Anyone have an active link of the Unofficial Aspire ONe Windows XP Recovery Disk? Acer no longers send them out. Not even for purchase.

Thanks

gob15, Aug 19, 2011
  18. imcrazy

birchy65

Help!! I have a D150 version of the Acer One and the eRecovery system on the hard drive has become corrupted. I only found out when I started to do a recovery so now I'm left with a laptop that is stuck in a loop because the recovery didn't complete. Does anyone have a copy of the recovery media that I can purchase? I obviously have a valid XP key as it is nicely positioned on the bottom of the laptop!!

birchy65, May 20, 2015
  19. imcrazy

Nestone50

I have the A150 which is very similar. I went to Windows 7 a couple years back with no regrets. I did increase the RAM to the maximum 1.5 gigs and use an SD card for Ready Boost. All the necessary drivers except for the SD card reader were in the Windows 7 install disk. The old XP driver from Acer worked for the SD card reader. I did eventually end up with a new wireless card as the Windows 7 driver for it was a bit flaky and I couldn't find an updated one on line that worked properly.. I just disabled the internal wireless card and used a micro USB dongle with n speed for my wireless connection. I bought the Windows 7 key online for $30.00 and downloaded the Windows 7 image file from a website.
    XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. An added bonus with Windows 7 is that you will be able to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out later this year. Also, with a screen smaller than 10.1 inches I understand Microsoft will also give you free their latest Windows Office suite.
    These little netbooks are now quite old and really not good for much beyond word processing and the internet. However, as they are very compact and light, I take mine when I travel. If it gets lost of stolen, it's certainly no great loss.
    All the above being said, if yo still want to go with Windows XP, all you need to do is find someone that has an old XP install disk and go to the Acer site and download the necessary drivers for your model. Simply use the product code key on the bottom of your netbook when asked during the installation.

Nestone50, May 20, 2015
  20. imcrazy

birchy65

I didn't realise it was as simple as that. I thought it would be a specific disc for the One. I have an old XP disc from a previous tower PC so would that work with the Acer licence number? I'm thinking as it's an OEM version it would be specific to the make of PC that it came from......

Thanks

birchy65, May 20, 2015
Ask a Question