Unix/Linux? Will my programs work?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JimK, Nov 26, 2010.

1. JimK

JimK

While Linux and Windows can be made to look alike, they have very little coding in common and the way they run programs is different. Therefore, Linux cannot natively run Windows programs. However, there is Linux software called Wine (see http://www.winehq.org) that can run many Windows programs (some better than others) within Linux. You'll have to do a little research to learn how to set it up and to see if your Windows programs are compatible.

Even if Wine does run your programs, they'll probably run better on Windows (It has been several years since I've used Wine, and I'm sure it's improved since then, but you're still adding another layer of software, which can't help performance). Rather than using Wine, most Linux users can find Linux programs that do pretty much the same thing as the Windows programs (sometimes better, sometimes not).

If you have a lot of Windows programs (especially ones you've paid for), you're probably better off sticking with Windows. If you do a little research, you can probably find ways to disable a lot of the new features that you don't like. I think Windows Vista has a setting to make it more like XP, but I don't know about Windows 7.

You can download Ubuntu and run it live off a CD without installing it if you want to try it out.

JimK, Nov 26, 2010
  2. JimK

DutchDK

JimK, sorry to say, you just replied to a spambot post. All the posts from the user Chanika is only submitted to insure that searchmachines like Google picks up the links in the tagline, thereby giving the sites in the links an artificial high rating in the searchmachine indexes.

DutchDK

DutchDK, Nov 27, 2010
  3. JimK

JimK

:oops: oops. Next time I'll know.

JimK, Nov 29, 2010
Ask a Question