Unintalled some packages, now I get only a black screen

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ashpire, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ashpire

ashpire

Hi
    I had a problem with SCIM, it popped up a menu for like every letter i typed, with some suggestions, like when I pressed the "e" key there was e and € to choose between and it was really annoying! I don't know why it started appearing. Then I tought I could just do "sudo yum remove scim". It went fine, but after the reboot my aspire one shows only a black screen with the mouse pointer. The pointer moves, the usb-ports seem to work totally normal when I connect stuff to them and the function key combinations seem to work. Alt+F2 does not bring up anything.

So what could I do? Would it be possible to connect a usb-cd drive with a live linux and restore it in some way? I would not like to do a total recovery install because then I would loose all settings etc.

Please help!

ashpire, Oct 21, 2008
  2. ashpire

jinx022

Sorry, I don't know how to help your current situation.

For others wanting to disable SCIM, right click (assuming advanced mode) to Settings and select Input Method. Unchecking Enable Input Method disables SCIM.

Making periodic system images is also smart.

jinx022, Oct 21, 2008
  3. ashpire

ashpire

Yes I know I should have made backups, or at least not uninstall the packages. But it is possible to in some way log in via ssh from another computer, and reinstall SCIM, so that the system would work? Or in some other way possible to get it working again?

ashpire, Oct 22, 2008
  4. ashpire

daldred

Two possible issues with that:

1. I don't know whether there's an ssh daemon running by default on the One: I suspect not. Of course, you may have installed one, so the default configuration isn't necessarily relevant!

2. If you're not getting a desktop, you may not be getting networking loading either (as the One seems to load networking after the desktop); if that's the case you can't get in anyway.

Worth a go, though, before you try the restore route.

The only other option I can think of (and even then it's not guaranteed by any means) would be to do a sort of manual reinstall of SCIM, by decompressing the rpm and copying the files into the appropriate locations after booting your One using a liveCD or LiveUSB from another distro (something lightweight like Damn Small Linux would probably be a good bet for this).

IIRC there are quite a lot of SCIM related files, though, spread over the filesystem - and there may be links elsewhere which wouldn't be recreated (or unorthodox Ac3er One setup stuff which you wouldn't know about) . Again, could be worth trying; I guess it depends how long it would take you to recreate your original setup from scratch, compared with how much time you'd spend trying the other options.

daldred, Oct 22, 2008
  5. ashpire

ashpire

Ok, I have to try something like that.. probably it is easier to just reinstall linpus.

ashpire, Oct 22, 2008
  6. ashpire

ashpire

By the way, is it in some way possible to edit some text file so that the xfce gui would not start? So instead it would start in text mode where I could reinstall SCIM? But probably it wouldn't work anyway :/

ashpire, Oct 23, 2008
Ask a Question