Uninstalling Firefox 3

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Pontificator, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Pontificator

Pontificator

How do you uninstall Firefox 3?

(with the idea of reinstalling it to correct a corrupted "add-ons" window).

And when I uninstall it, will Firefox 2 still be there?

Pontificator, Feb 6, 2009
  2. Pontificator

yachtpro

Usually,( except in the case of that AWFUL AOL) when a new version of a program is installed, it overwrites the original program and when uninstalling, it wipes the entire program including the original. Not always, however. Go to START/CONTROL PANEL and use "add or remove programs". If there are two versions of the Firefox browser in there, just uninstall Version 3. Sometimes DLL's and other things are shared between the two versions and when uninstalling one version, it can also remove things from the older version leaving it corrupted beyond use, or you having to search online DLL library sites trying to find them. You can always search for the original version and reload it over the same and that might restore it back. Usually all saved or .DAT files and/or saved information goes away. Hope this helps.

yachtpro, Feb 7, 2009
  3. Pontificator

sagebrush

FIREFOX 3 SUCKS IN LINUX..

OPERA WORKS MUCH BETTER

sagebrush, Feb 16, 2009
  4. Pontificator

Mexsalem

@sagebrush : you are completly right - i also changed from Firefox to Opera because it's faster.

Mexsalem, Apr 2, 2009
  5. Pontificator

nx_911_turbo

Has anyone had any luck installing Opera on the Linpus distro that's included with AA1's?

nx_911_turbo, Apr 10, 2009
  6. Pontificator

Mexsalem

That's easy, if you know how ......

Open a terminal (ALT+F2, terminal, enter)

Code:
    wget "http://www.opera.com/download/get.pl?id=31881&location=270&nothanks=yes&sub=marine"
    sudo rpm -i opera-9.63.gcc4-shared-qt3.i386.rpm
    To add Opera to the launcher, you have to fix a problem with the resolution of the icon. Here you are :

Code:
    sudo wget -O /usr/share/pixmaps/opera.png [url]http://promote.opera.com/logos/Opera1_t.png[/url]

sudo cp /usr/share/applications/linpus-web.desktop /usr/share/applications/opera.desktop
    sudo sed -e'/Exec/cExec=opera' -e'/Icon/cIcon=opera' -i /usr/share/applications/opera.desktop
    dca add 10 "file='/usr/share/applications/opera.desktop'"
    Now enjoy Opera !

regards
    Mexsalem

Mexsalem, Apr 10, 2009
  7. Pontificator

sanger440

I must say I agree with the statement that Opera is faster. On the Macles blog there is information on how to install and uninstall Firefox. And instructions on installing Opera. I just left Firfox 3 installed, but I seem to use Opera more because it is much snappier.

Sanger

sanger440, Apr 10, 2009
Ask a Question