Uninstalled Programs Causing Problems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by skanedog, Nov 27, 2008.

1. skanedog

skanedog

Using the Packet Manager I tried to uninstall some of the shareware games that came packaged with the O/S (Super Tux, Tux Puck and Frozen Bubble).

They were removed easy enough but now there are three blank spaces on the Play submenu which cause the desktop to fall away if I click the pointer on them. Anyone know what I've done wrong?

skanedog, Nov 27, 2008
  2. skanedog

daldred

Shareware? Those games are Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) like most Linux packages. There are a few Acer semi-demo sort of games loaded on the One as packaged, but not those ones! Frozen Bubble and SuperTux are classics.

The basic desktop is managed by a file called group-app.xml; you'll need to edit that to get rid of the relevant entries. Use the file manager (My Files from the desktop) and in the address bar add '.config' to the location - the full stop is important. Now open the xfce directory, then the desktop directory, and you should find group-app.xml. Right-click on it and open it with Mousepad.

If you now search for 'bubble' you'll find the section of the file which deals with these games. Either delete the lines, or turn them into comments by putting '<--' at the beginning of the line and '-->' at the end. Then you need to change the 'sequence=' numbers in the remaining lines so that they are in sequence.

Save the file, and restart your machine (there is a way of reloading the desktop without restarting, but that's the easy way). Now you should have no blank spaces.

It should be said at this point that this is a pretty horrible way of running a desktop setup, but that's the way the basic desktop provided by Acer runs. A normal Linux distro does these things far more efficiently!

daldred, Nov 27, 2008
  3. skanedog

skanedog

Thanks - worked a treat.

Oh btw, shareware/freeware whatever - those gamers were awful! ;)

skanedog, Nov 28, 2008
  4. skanedog

RockDoctor

Aside from the obnoxious music, how can you not like Frozen Bubble? :lol:

RockDoctor, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question