Unable to create USB recovery disk (Error 39)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by JimmiG, Nov 29, 2008.

1. JimmiG

JimmiG

Well I figured I'd give the factory installed Linux version a try again, so I went ahead and put the recovery disc into my main computer's DVD drive and booted from it. I chose the option to create a USB Recovery disk and plugged in my trusty 4GB Freecom Databar. I then immediately got an "Error 39" and the system rebooted. I've tried reformatting the USB stick with FAT32 and FAT16 but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

JimmiG, Nov 29, 2008
  2. JimmiG

rbil

rbil, Nov 29, 2008
  3. JimmiG

JimmiG

Well darn..

I just checked My Computer on my desktop system and discovered that my D: drive was missing :shock:

Acronis Disk Director seemed to be able to restore the partition but it's still a little alarming that a "recovery disc" from a well known OEM managed to erase my data just like that. It seems the recovery program tried to copy the USB image to my D: drive even though the USB drive (G:) was selected (and it was also the only drive that showed up in the list).

Why didn't they just create a simple Windows utility to create the recovery drive? Then they wouldn't have had to deal with different drive configurations, providing drivers for everything on the disc etc. Better yet, they should have shipped the AAO with a 1GB write protected USB flash drive instead of a DVD, seeing as the machine lacks a DVD drive.

I guess this is why Linux isn't "ready for the desktop" yet...

It looks like you can download an ISO of the recovery disc and then use a Windows utility to write the ISO to a USB drive.. I might try that, or I might just stick with XP since it works so well.

JimmiG, Nov 29, 2008
  4. JimmiG

rbil

What makes you think everyone has a Windows computer to create a recovery drive? Personally, I wouldn't have a Windows computer anywhere around here. The only thing "Microsoft" I have around here is MSNBC, a cable TV news channel.

Acer certainly could have provided a flash key to do the recovery, but I guess they wanted to save a few bucks.

Cheers.

rbil, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question