Ultrabook (or 2-in-1) for web browsing / video watching / photo editing

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by webzeb, Nov 20, 2016.

1. webzeb

webzeb

Hello,

I have a budget of about 1500€ and I am looking for an Ultrabook (or 2-in1) with the following specifications:

Main uses:

• Web browsing,
    • Video streaming (Netflix, Premium plan) and HD/UHD video files playing,
    • Photo editing (Lightroom and Photoshop CC, with a Fujifilm X-T2 camera which produces pretty 'hefty' RAW files (50MB each)),
    • Basic office work.
    Must have:
    • Suitable for the tasks described above,
    • Excellent display!
      (I am extremely 'picky' when it comes to display quality. High resolution is very welcome for photo editing, even if Windows 10 sometimes does not handle it very well. 'Wide' gamut is also welcome for photo editing (for prints) and I have all the necessary to generate a profile/3D-LUT so colors are correct in my main applications. Nevertheless, 'wide' gamut is not compulsory. Good uniformity and wide viewing angles are. When I am on the move I cannot, unfortunately, take my graphic arts monitor with me...)
    • Lightweight, sturdy and 'elegant' construction.
      (I am often on the move. Lightweight AC adapter is also a plus.)
    • Good battery life,
    • Good keyboard and touchpad,
    • 256GB SSD or more.
    Nice to have:
    • Pen compatibility, with pressure sensitivity (only if precise and reactive, otherwise it is completely useless),
    • Silent during 'light' tasks like web browsing,
    • SD card reader.
    I consider the following:
    • HP Spectre X360 (13-4201nf) (i7-6560U, Iris 540, 8GB, 512GB SSD)...with OLED display!
      A French shop has an excellent offer running until tomorrow (1499.99€ - 100€ cashback - 140€ vouchers).
      OLED display is clearly the main appeal of this one!
      512GB SSD is also a plus.
    • Dell XPS 13,
    • Microsoft Surface Book (i5, GT 940 M, 8GB, 256GB SSD)
      Same shop has also a good offer (1656€ - 160€ voucher).
      I really like the construction, the display seems very good (even if limited to sRGB) and its aspect ratio is interesting and pen experience seem much better than on the X360 (is it?).
    Other options are very welcome!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Fred

webzeb, Nov 20, 2016
Ask a Question