UK modders - 3G SIM socket

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by adrianaitken, Jan 29, 2009.

1. adrianaitken

adrianaitken

Has anyone in the UK actually got hold of a compatible SIM socket and soldered it onto their AAO ? If so, where did you get the part from (shop,website,part number etc would be very useful !!!!) ?

adrianaitken, Jan 29, 2009
  2. adrianaitken

melhiore

I was looking for full set - SIM card socket and miniPCIe socket. I could not find them in any place. tnkgrl provided pinout for some SIM card holder but for me it's only 50% of mod - still could not get 9mm miniPCIe socket :( At the end of the day I realized that this mod will cost me another couple of months w/o mobile internet on my AA1 and I decided to go for unlimited data plan on my PDA and USB BT dongle. Software necessary to use unlimited data from PDA on AA1 is called WiFiRouter. There are two ways of using it: Access Point and BT PAN network - which I'm using as BT is always ON in my mobile phone... This solution is much cheaper then 3G built-in modem and works for me...

melhiore, Jan 29, 2009
  3. adrianaitken

MrKev

I've put a sim socket from Farnell in - 150-3775 - Electrically seems to match, and physically not too significant a bodge either.

I've yet to 1) source a suitable Mini PCI-e connector, or 2) try it.

how about wiring a USB 3G card to the a set of the many USB contacts available inside the AA1 - will any of the dongles fit inside the 3G hatch?

Kev

MrKev, Jan 30, 2009
  4. adrianaitken

adrianaitken

Hi mrKev, that's what I'm doing at the moment - a E169(G?). But I'd prefer being able to add SIM cards easily - I 've got a couple so if I use up one I can then jsut swap out to another. I suppose (in theory), I could put a 3G card in where the WIFI card is but I'd need to wire up the SIM socket.

adrianaitken, Jan 30, 2009
Ask a Question